Random ramblings of a mind damaged by years of disuse and abuse. Also a place to go to be bored to tears.
The Random Comic Strip
Words to live by...
"How beautiful it is to do nothing, and to rest afterward."
(The right to looseness has been officially given)
"Everyone carries a part of society on his shoulders," wrote Ludwig von Mises, "no one is relieved of his share of responsibility by others. And no one can find a safe way for himself if society is sweeping towards destruction. Therefore everyone, in his own interest, must thrust himself vigorously into the intellectual battle."
Apparently, the crossword puzzle that disappeared from the blog, came back.
Monday, August 23, 2010
Pop quiz time
I thought we might take a test today. Think of it as a pop quiz like you used to get at school when you were young and stupid. You weren't young and stupid? I was. I didn't realize it then, of course, that knowledge came with age. This is mostly a history quiz.
Have no fear, it really isn't that tough. At least, I don't think it is. And you do not have to be a US citizen to take it.
1. Pick all that apply... The American Civil War: a) divided the country b) united the country c) was about states' rights d) decided the issue of slavery in America
2. The American Revolution was supported by a majority of the colonists. a) True b) False
3. Abraham Lincoln freed all the slaves with his Emancipation Proclamation. a) True b) False
4. The Spanish-American War resulted in our being ceded what lands? (select all that apply) a) Cuba b) Puerto Rico c) Panama d) Virgin Islands e) Hawaii f) New Mexico g) Philippines h) Guam i) Marianna Islands
5. Of the above, which ones are still under US control?
6. What year was the US Constitution ratified? a) 1776 b) 1786 c) 1789 d) 1812
7. In the early days of automobiles, what methods were used to power them? a) Gasoline b) Diesel c) Electricity d) Steam e) a & b f) a & c g) all of the above
8. America is a: a) Democracy b) Republic c) Dictatorship d) Empire
9. The United Nations was started by: a) Woodrow Wilson b) Franklin D. Roosevelt c) Harry Truman d) Winston Churchill e) No specific person or nation
10. Frogs cause warts. a) True b) False c) Only for witches.
Ok, the last one wasn't a history question. Nor did it have anything to do with the US. Answers tomorrow...