The Random Comic Strip

The Random Comic Strip

Words to live by...

"How beautiful it is to do nothing, and to rest afterward."

[Spanish Proverb]

Ius luxuriae publice datum est

(The right to looseness has been officially given)

"Everyone carries a part of society on his shoulders," wrote Ludwig von Mises, "no one is relieved of his share of responsibility by others. And no one can find a safe way for himself if society is sweeping towards destruction. Therefore everyone, in his own interest, must thrust himself vigorously into the intellectual battle."

Apparently, the crossword puzzle that disappeared from the blog, came back.


Saturday, October 2, 2010

One night in Biloxi

Six people sat down to play. The mood was serious. Only 2 would survive to play on. Some wore hats, some had hair. All were ready. The same scene played out on 5 more tables. The dealer was annoying though he thought he was witty. There was little conversation as the cards were dealt and the hands played. I held my own. I played a strong game and increased my allotted $500 easily as we lost 2 players who gambled unwisely. At the end, there were 4 of us and I was solidly ahead. It was on that hand, I learned a valuable lesson.

Sometimes it is worth it to risk it all.

I didn't. I held back. Too much, it turned out. The lady at the end doubled her holdings by besting the dealer's wimpy 17. The smooth character at the other end lost his chance on a bust. To my immediate right, he tripled his holdings with a BJ and I hit one also but not for enough to matter... I was third behind the lady and my opponent to the right.

I could have thrown it all in for that hand because it was win or lose. I should have.

But I didn't. And that is why I am also not one of those who moved on to the next level in the Blackjack tournament.

Faye went on from her table but lasted just that one more round.

I hate it when that happens.

2 comments:

Grey Ghost said...

Never fancied Blackjack,my games Canasta.I've always wanted to try Poker but its difficult to practice on your own without cheating.Hope the weathers better your end than mine.

Personal Trainer Singapore said...

hi there, you have a wonderful blog. thanks for sharing your life and experience here. hope you never give up doing that.