The Random Comic Strip

The Random Comic Strip

Words to live by...

"How beautiful it is to do nothing, and to rest afterward."

[Spanish Proverb]

Ius luxuriae publice datum est

(The right to looseness has been officially given)

"Everyone carries a part of society on his shoulders," wrote Ludwig von Mises, "no one is relieved of his share of responsibility by others. And no one can find a safe way for himself if society is sweeping towards destruction. Therefore everyone, in his own interest, must thrust himself vigorously into the intellectual battle."

Apparently, the crossword puzzle that disappeared from the blog, came back.


Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Unwanted Email

On occasion, I get emails from people who do not read this blog. I suspect they do not read it because the emails are usually requests for adding an advertising link to their commercial website, an invitation to join some group or association having to do with being an aging citizen or a member of the Baby Boomer generation, or an endorsement/mention of whatever it is they represent.

I don't know how to handle these politely so I usually just ignore them. This mostly works. But, once in a while, a petitioner will send me a follow-up email. The context seems to be that I must have overlooked the first email because how Icould I possibly jus ignore such a fine opportunity? Well, it's pretty easy as far as I am concerned. The following is a response to a Mr. Dempsey who wrote to me about helping support something called Retirement Living TV. I would not have sent this reply if he had left a sleeping Douglas lie... I left the text of Mr. Dempsey's email intact because I do not want anyone to think I oppose his premise. It's just not my cup of tea. I might oppose his politics, or not; it isn't clear what they are. I could guess based on the names mentioned and the style of the request but I will leave that up to you.

My theory of life and politics is that I will do my own research, my own analysis, and reach my own conclusions. I learned this at a young age and am too old to change now. I am not a member of a "bloc" of like-minded people. I am just another human being... equal to most, better than some.




Mr. Dempsey,

I thought that perhaps my not responding might have been a sufficient answer. I did some examination of the proposed channel/network and find it not to my tastes or my needs. Please try to understand that my blog is not so much about being a Baby Boomer and problems of reaching "senior" status than it is about commentary on events and instances that shape our lives. In other words, it's more about the "Musings" than the "Boomer".

Additionally, I am not interested in what Sam Donaldson or Cokie Roberts have to say about anything. I was never a fan of those two or of the mainstream media. I learned a long time ago that no organization, no person, is without a bias that leaks through into their work. That includes journalists.

Though I am a member now of AARP, it is solely for the purpose of gaining access to some discounts. If those discounts turn out to be worth less than the dues, I will be dropping out of that organization. In fact, I may drop out regardless if the organization continues to support government policies which I believe are not good for the country.

You may disagree with me but this is my blog and my musings and I decide what goes into it and what does not. No amount of pressure or repeat efforts will change that.

Is that a sufficient answer? (Rhetorical question)

--------------------------------------------------
From: "Lowell Dempsey"
Sent: Tuesday, October 26, 2010 12:29 PM
To:
Subject: Following up on my last email

> Hi again Douglas
>
> I sent you an email last week but I hadn't heard back so I wanted to try you again. AARP is predicting 84% of people 55 and older will vote on Election Day. Yet candidates seem to be focusing all their energy on young voters. John Erickson, Chairman of RLTV and founder of Erickson Retirement Communities, wants to make sure that Americans 55 and older aren't ignored.
>
> The Huffington Post and Fox News both reported about John's initiative last week and I'm hoping this is a story that you and the readers of Boomer Musings would be interested in as well. John's goal to bring attention to this powerful group of 70 million Americans can be found here:
>
> http://johnerickson.tv
>
> John has also led the way on RLTV with Prime Votes, which features nightly updates with Sam Donaldson and John Palmer, as well as two national forums hosted by Cokie Roberts. More about Prime Votes, as well as John's discussion of many important national issues, can be found at the johnerickson.tv
site.
>
> If you need more information or would like to interview John, please let me know and I will make it happen. If you are able to post or tweet, please send me the link so I can share it with the team.
>
> Thanks so much,
>
> Lowell
>
> --
> Lowell Dempsey
> Johnerickson.tv
> RL.tv
> @johnericksontv
> @RLTVLive
>

4 comments:

Grey Ghost said...

Maybe his seeing eye dog can't read.There must be a logical answer.

Neo said...

Doug, were we closer I think we would make a good friendship, we see things in the same line...
good post

Douglas said...

Grey Ghost, I have come to the conclusion that "logic" is an illusion in the modern world.

Greg, I am sure we would be good friends.

Gregory said...

Doug, were we closer I think we would make a good friendship, we see things in the same line...
good post