The Random Comic Strip

The Random Comic Strip

Words to live by...

"How beautiful it is to do nothing, and to rest afterward."

[Spanish Proverb]

Ius luxuriae publice datum est

(The right to looseness has been officially given)

"Everyone carries a part of society on his shoulders," wrote Ludwig von Mises, "no one is relieved of his share of responsibility by others. And no one can find a safe way for himself if society is sweeping towards destruction. Therefore everyone, in his own interest, must thrust himself vigorously into the intellectual battle."

Apparently, the crossword puzzle that disappeared from the blog, came back.


Tuesday, March 13, 2012

In the "Really Important Stuff" department...


At one time, we told our children, "the moon is made of green cheese." I don't know why. I was one of those children but I was skeptical. I was likely skeptical because I was told so many things that were purely fantasy and made no sense even to a small child. Or because I had an older brother and sister who loved to make me feel foolish for believing anything an adult told me.

Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny, Superman, and so much more. So many disappointments so early in my life.

Turns out we can only theorize about the moon. We think the moon was formed from a chunk of earth after an impact as the planet itself was still in the forming stages.

And now we think we have an idea why the moon doesn't have a global magnetic field like the earth does. Just regions where magnetic fields reside and other regions where there are no magnetic fields.

What? You didn't know this? No one told you?

http://articles.latimes.com/2012/mar/09/science/la-sci-moon-magnetic-field-20120310


No comments: