The Random Comic Strip

The Random Comic Strip

Words to live by...

"How beautiful it is to do nothing, and to rest afterward."

[Spanish Proverb]

Ius luxuriae publice datum est

(The right to looseness has been officially given)

"Everyone carries a part of society on his shoulders," wrote Ludwig von Mises, "no one is relieved of his share of responsibility by others. And no one can find a safe way for himself if society is sweeping towards destruction. Therefore everyone, in his own interest, must thrust himself vigorously into the intellectual battle."

Apparently, the crossword puzzle that disappeared from the blog, came back.


Thursday, March 4, 2010

Ad hoc post

Today was supposed to be a planned out day, or afternoon actually, of touristy stuff. Specifically, a tour of the fine US Navy ship the USS Midway CV-41. But that, of course, fell through. Faye says it looked like rain (hah! Rain? In San Diego? Surely you josh!). But I see no rain.

"Tomorrow," She says, "we'll go tomorrow." Thereby cleverly denying me a fine day for golf (though maybe I can sneak out in the early morning hours...)

Yesterday, I was to get in a round at a executive course down by Mission Bay whilst Faye and her mother deal with taxes involving the trust for her mother's long time companion who passed away last year. Her mom was left with everything to clean up; sell his house, distribute the estate, etc. So Faye, being a clever and accomplished (and now retired) tax person volunteered to assist her mom in dealing with the tax issues.

But I digress, this was about my alleged game yesterday. I dropped them off at the tax preparer's office where they expected to spend the next few hours dealing with the taxes and I went off (jauntily, I might add) to the little exec course down by Mission Bay. Faye was to call me on my cell when they were through and I would come back to pick them up. An exec course takes maybe 2.5 hours to get around, usually less, so it was supposed to work out just fine.

As with all well laid plans of mice, men, and golfers, a snag appeared. As I was walking up to the fifth green, the cell phone begins ringing (and vibrating). Who could this be? I asked myself, knowing full well who it was and refraining from answering with an expletive deleted offending word.

It was Faye. The guy had shooed them from the office with excuses of other work that must be done and promises of having it ready by Friday morning, maybe Thursday afternoon, and cooed, "when could you pick us up?"

Bravely holding back the tears and profanity, I told my love that I was at her beck and call and would just like to finish the front nine, if my Mistress would not mind?

[sigh]

So, there we have it. And, now, I have just been tapped to make a taco run to a Roberto's to fetch some lunch. So I don't even get to properly finish this post.

Which explains its title...

ad hoc

  1. for this particular purpose
  2. special
  3. created on the spur of the moment, impromptu

3 comments:

Steven said...

seeing as i haven't been to san diego since 1999...hit up a Sombrero's for me

Douglas said...

I go where Faye tells me to go.

Douglas said...

I go where Faye tells me to go.