The Random Comic Strip

The Random Comic Strip

Words to live by...

"How beautiful it is to do nothing, and to rest afterward."

[Spanish Proverb]

Ius luxuriae publice datum est

(The right to looseness has been officially given)

"Everyone carries a part of society on his shoulders," wrote Ludwig von Mises, "no one is relieved of his share of responsibility by others. And no one can find a safe way for himself if society is sweeping towards destruction. Therefore everyone, in his own interest, must thrust himself vigorously into the intellectual battle."

Apparently, the crossword puzzle that disappeared from the blog, came back.


Thursday, March 25, 2010

On my knee(s)...

The visit to the orthopedic surgeon went almost well. I did not wait too long in the waiting room. I did, however, wait much too long in the examining room. At least my leg was elevated and supported in there so the wait was not as painful.

The doctor was okay. He had a beard, a loud flowered shirt, and jeans. We bonded. I think. He looked at my leg, complained that my X-ray pictures broke his printer, and then finally got a printout of them. I want copies. They told me what I already knew... clearly broken into two pieces. In spite of what you might think, this is a good thing. The patella (kneecap) could have shattered. That is, it could have been in many more than two pieces. This would have created a need for more intensive/extensive surgery. Instead, I will be an outpatient.

It won't be done at an outpatient clinic but in a regular OR and I will be in and out in a day. Probably. The procedure is to wire the patella back together and in place. I will be back in the soft-cast for another week and then rehab exercises. Surgery is set for Friday. Morning, one presumes (and hopes).

Today I go to do the pre-op tests and discuss just how the anesthetist will drug me into blissful repose so that the surgeon can do his thing.

There is light at the end of this tunnel.

But my laptop stopped working yesterday. It never just rains, does it?


1 comment:

Cheri said...

May your knee surgery go well and your recovery even better.

You'll be back on the golf course before you know it. Until then, golf computer game, right?