The Random Comic Strip

The Random Comic Strip

Words to live by...

"How beautiful it is to do nothing, and to rest afterward."

[Spanish Proverb]

Ius luxuriae publice datum est

(The right to looseness has been officially given)

"Everyone carries a part of society on his shoulders," wrote Ludwig von Mises, "no one is relieved of his share of responsibility by others. And no one can find a safe way for himself if society is sweeping towards destruction. Therefore everyone, in his own interest, must thrust himself vigorously into the intellectual battle."

Apparently, the crossword puzzle that disappeared from the blog, came back.


Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Let's see... what else can I break?


The first full day in Las Vegas had some interesting twists and turns. Nothing went as planned.

First, the weather was bad. Cold, blustery, with a bit of rain (though hardly worth mentioning). Still, I headed for the golf course because it has already been established that I am addicted to the game. Not really a problem, I have played in worse conditions and I had a sweatshirt in addition to the hoodie so I was warm enough. I hit a few balls to warm up, putted a little on the practice green to get a feel for the greens, and headed for the first tee. There was a couple, man and wife, already there so I asked if they minded some company. They didn't, of course. Even if they had, they would have not said so. It's a golf thing.

We (the men) played from the back tees, something I am usually loathe to do since I just do not hit it that far. But I figured, what the heck? The man, who happened to also have the name of "Doug" (making it easy to remember), did not hit it all that far either so I wondered why he wanted to play from the longest tees. Being polite, I did not ask...

"Say, you really don't hit it well enough to play from the back tees, why are you torturing yourself (and me)?"

No, that would have been rude.

The woman (let's call her "Becky" since that was her name) hit the ball about 120 yards at her best. She played from the front (or "ladies") tees. It did not help her game. She was not all that good overall. I got the impression it was a togetherness thing.

By the ninth hole, I was sorry I had joined them. It was not that they weren't pleasant to be around, they were, they just were not having a good day and it was beginning to affect my game. Which does not need any discouragement.

When they went into the clubhouse for refreshments after the 9th hole, I kept playing. Though my game was already doomed.

My day already not going well, I finished up, cursed my ability, put my bag in the trunk of the car, placed my cell phone on the bumper while I swapped out the golf shoes for street shoes. When it came time to close the trunk lid, I had conveniently forgotten to pick up the cell phone. The lid bounced after hitting it. The phone ceased working.

Great!

Meanwhile, I had been playing phone tag with Larry (a friend who lives with his wife, Shirley, in Vegas after retiring from the Phone Company) and with Tony, a fellow blogger who also lives here and who had expressed an interest in getting together. Why I cannot imagine, but he has not met me yet. He may feel it was a mistake.

I explained to Larry and to Tony, over the hotel phone, that I had inadvertently destroyed my cell phone and that was why I had not been returning their calls and that I wasn't ignoring them, just a klutz. Then made arrangements with each to meet for dinner; Tony tonight, Larry tomorrow. Mexican food both nights. I have laid in an extra supply of antacids.

And off I went to find an at&t wireless store where I learned that having a Gophone account, all I needed to do was to buy a new Gophone at a Wal-Mart or Target store and put my SIM card from the damaged phone into the new one. And then they directed me to the nearest Wal-Mart where I purchased a new phone.

Just to my left, that new phone (now with old SIM card installed) is happily charging away. Let's hope the thing works once it is done, shall we?

Cross country trips are such adventures, aren't they?

No comments: