The Random Comic Strip

The Random Comic Strip

Words to live by...

"How beautiful it is to do nothing, and to rest afterward."

[Spanish Proverb]

Ius luxuriae publice datum est

(The right to looseness has been officially given)

"Everyone carries a part of society on his shoulders," wrote Ludwig von Mises, "no one is relieved of his share of responsibility by others. And no one can find a safe way for himself if society is sweeping towards destruction. Therefore everyone, in his own interest, must thrust himself vigorously into the intellectual battle."

Apparently, the crossword puzzle that disappeared from the blog, came back.


Thursday, November 4, 2010

I didn't want to grow up either

I was perusing my favorite comics website, looking for an update to the comic strip above, when I came across this:

Momma

... and it reminded me of jobs I have had. All of them. Humor always has a bit of truth underlying it, doesn't it? Jobs do exactly what Francis (that's the young man applying for the job) fears. They crush the child in us and mold us into something we don't want to be. Over the years, like wind and rain eroding a mountain, we change into responsible and dependable adults. Not all of us, of course, some people never grow up. And some manage to keep the child inside alive.

But most of us abandon that child.

How sad.

I made it to retirement and can now unleash my inner child again. Except I am too old to remember how to be young.

No comments: