The Random Comic Strip

The Random Comic Strip

Words to live by...

"How beautiful it is to do nothing, and to rest afterward."

[Spanish Proverb]

Ius luxuriae publice datum est

(The right to looseness has been officially given)

"Everyone carries a part of society on his shoulders," wrote Ludwig von Mises, "no one is relieved of his share of responsibility by others. And no one can find a safe way for himself if society is sweeping towards destruction. Therefore everyone, in his own interest, must thrust himself vigorously into the intellectual battle."

Apparently, the crossword puzzle that disappeared from the blog, came back.


Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Older but softer...


When I was younger, I drove small cars (when I wasn't riding motorcycles)... an MG Magnette, a Chevy Vega, a Honda Civic, a Datsun pickup, A Mitsubishi Mirage, a Ford Ranger. I liked the agility, the economy, and they were all I could afford. That last was probably the main reason. But I liked the fuel economy and I didn't mind the harsher ride or the tight quarters. I was a bit, ahem, smaller then so their tight quarters were not all that tight. I was younger so the lack of padding and the small bucket seats didn't bother me.

But few years ago, I decided I wanted a bit more comfort. I turned toward bigger cars, nicer cars, more comfortable cars. I wanted air conditioning, I wanted a nice sound system, I really wanted softer seats and a gentler ride.

Slowly, over time, I moved up in comfort. Now I can't seem to move back. I live in a small city where nothing is more than 15 or 20 minutes away. I could use better in town mileage. My Lucerne only gets 14 MPG in town. Granted, I only have to fill up once a month so the pain is fleeting. Still, I think of the 24 MPG I used to get with my Civic way back when. I find myself looking at Mini Coopers or the Yaris or other dinky little cars which might be fun to drive and would certainly get good gas mileage.

And then I get back in my Lucerne and feel the leather seats, notice the quiet interior which shuts off the noise of the outside world, and realize the fact that I started the car from across the parking lot and the AC was already cooling it off inside. I don't have to turn on the lights at night or the windshield wipers when it rains. They just go on.

I am firmly in the middle of my "soft" years.

5 comments:

Pearl said...

I am looking forward to my soft years! While I find interesting conversations to listen in on and events to share while riding the bus, the seats could be comfier...

Pearl

Charlotte Ann said...

High performance cars were my thing; standard shift, big engines, quarter mile drag fun, then I went to economy, with an ugly orange Datsun, a truck to pull travel trailor, a Toyota Landcruiser.1978....and now a Grand Marquis with all that comfy stuff.
I have my eye on a two seater bright red convertible Pontiac Solstice. I think it sits way to low to the ground for my age group and I might need to be lifted out of it. Maybe it's not a good one to buy?

Douglas said...

Pearl, you love the world of that bus. You'll never leave it.

Charlotte Ann, I lust after them, too. If I ever hit the lotto, there's a `54 Vette out there somewhere with my name on it.

Douglas said...

Pearl, you love the world of that bus. You'll never leave it.

Charlotte Ann, I lust after them, too. If I ever hit the lotto, there's a `54 Vette out there somewhere with my name on it.

Charlotte Ann said...

High performance cars were my thing; standard shift, big engines, quarter mile drag fun, then I went to economy, with an ugly orange Datsun, a truck to pull travel trailor, a Toyota Landcruiser.1978....and now a Grand Marquis with all that comfy stuff.
I have my eye on a two seater bright red convertible Pontiac Solstice. I think it sits way to low to the ground for my age group and I might need to be lifted out of it. Maybe it's not a good one to buy?