The Random Comic Strip

The Random Comic Strip

Words to live by...

"How beautiful it is to do nothing, and to rest afterward."

[Spanish Proverb]

Ius luxuriae publice datum est

(The right to looseness has been officially given)

"Everyone carries a part of society on his shoulders," wrote Ludwig von Mises, "no one is relieved of his share of responsibility by others. And no one can find a safe way for himself if society is sweeping towards destruction. Therefore everyone, in his own interest, must thrust himself vigorously into the intellectual battle."

Apparently, the crossword puzzle that disappeared from the blog, came back.


Monday, December 26, 2011

New Year's resolution


At this time each year, many of us try to think up New Year's resolutions. And why not? What better time to make changes in one's life? Of course, anytime is a good time to make positive changes but a new year and a new leaf seem to go together exceptionally well.

We vow to lose weight, to be nicer to others, to give more to charity, to save toward a rainy day, and so on. And then we inevitably fail to follow through. This leads to depression and guilt. I think we secretly look forward to our failure to uphold these vows. Somehow, we like to wallow in guilt. It's probably an American thing.

So I usually do not make New Year's resolutions. It's not that I have faults that need to be addressed, though I am sure they are few and possibly endearing ones. It's just that I don't need additional failures in my life.

To be perfectly honest, I don't need to lose weight. That was taken care of back when I broke my kneecap. The pain alone ruined my appetite which resulted in a loss of 15 pounds in a couple of weeks. And I have not gained any of it back. I am nice to everyone who is nice to me and even some of those who aren't (because it drives them crazy). I suppose I could give more to charity, they certainly call me often enough and send me lots of mail trying to make me feel guilty but I suspect I would get even more calls and more mail asking for yet more. And that would cut into savings. Inflation is already taking a toll on that.

Instead, I will make just one resolution. I resolve to play golf as much as possible.

I think I can follow through on that one.


No comments: