The Random Comic Strip

The Random Comic Strip

Words to live by...

"How beautiful it is to do nothing, and to rest afterward."

[Spanish Proverb]

Ius luxuriae publice datum est

(The right to looseness has been officially given)

"Everyone carries a part of society on his shoulders," wrote Ludwig von Mises, "no one is relieved of his share of responsibility by others. And no one can find a safe way for himself if society is sweeping towards destruction. Therefore everyone, in his own interest, must thrust himself vigorously into the intellectual battle."

Apparently, the crossword puzzle that disappeared from the blog, came back.


Monday, July 2, 2012

A shot of fresh air?


As someone who went through 2 years of breathing problems in the late 90's, I pay attention to articles like this. During that period, I spent two separate weeks in hospitals being given steroids (prednisone) and with that O2 providing "nasal cannula" draped over my ears. It was a bit like wearing a leash.

Additionally, I made more than a couple of visits to emergency rooms when my lungs got so clogged that breathing was impossible. Same scenario as above but only for a few hours. What if the EMTs could have given me an injection of this stuff? That's where this is headed, you know. Maybe those with severe respiratory problems could someday carry an emergency supply in a syringe. Much like Type 1 diabetics carry insulin. Or those who have severe allergic reactions carry epinephrine.

It's a strange feeling when you can almost breathe and the lack of oxygen begins to take effect on the brain. When it happens slowly, over weeks and months, you adapt. You restrict movement and you rest more (but it doesn't help much and seems to help less each time). When it happens quickly, there is not much you can do except seek help (and strongly consider just letting "it" happen). I was lucky. I could often cough strongly enough to clear a passageway and get some air into my lungs, giving me time to wait for the EMTs to show up or to be driven to the ER. Driving myself was simply not possible.



I once told my mother that if I ever had to carry an oxygen bottle around in order to live that I wouldn't, that I'd take a quicker way out. But I have learned I wouldn't, I would tolerate that bottle, that I would cling to life...

But this invention, this breakthrough, may save hundreds of lives each year. And maybe we won't need that O2 tube in hospitals one day but have our oxygen in that IV mix...




2 comments:

Suzy said...

Yup, wearing O2 is like wearing a leash. I know what my dogs feel like. *sigh* Thankfully, I graduated from the tank am now breathing polluted air like most everyone else.  I enjoyed your post. Suzy over at artfulabilities.blogspot.com

Midlife Crisis Queen said...

I have also suffered through some serious bouts of bronchitis.  That's why I like the American Lung Association's logo: "Nothing else seems important when you can't breathe!"