The Random Comic Strip

The Random Comic Strip

Words to live by...

"How beautiful it is to do nothing, and to rest afterward."

[Spanish Proverb]

Ius luxuriae publice datum est

(The right to looseness has been officially given)

"Everyone carries a part of society on his shoulders," wrote Ludwig von Mises, "no one is relieved of his share of responsibility by others. And no one can find a safe way for himself if society is sweeping towards destruction. Therefore everyone, in his own interest, must thrust himself vigorously into the intellectual battle."

Apparently, the crossword puzzle that disappeared from the blog, came back.


Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Bummer!


Life is too short.
Way too short for some.
A good friend just passed away.
An uncle, only one left now, is approaching the end.
Good men, both. Better men than me, I think.

Too much death in my life right now. Never a good thing but it makes you think about your own mortality. I am healthy, now. I wasn't always. I had a couple of shakey years not so long ago. Lung troubles. Not cancer, just an infection that lingered and resisted and was mostly misdiagnosed. And only life-threatening a few times. Mostly just frustrating. It also made me consider my own mortality.

I'd like to cheer up, to think about happier times, to write something whimsical. But I don't feel whimsical.

Maybe tomorrow.

There's always tomorrow.

3 comments:

IB said...

Hang in there. Douglas. Write when you can; when you feel it is right.

Peace to you through these difficult times.

IB

Tony said...

I'm sorry to hear about your friend. I know how you feel - when my grandfather died I went through so many different emotions and felt like I was slapped on the face by the thoughts of my own mortality.

Someone told me that things like this get easier with time, the truth is that they don't - you just learn to deal with them better

Tony said...

I'm sorry to hear about your friend. I know how you feel - when my grandfather died I went through so many different emotions and felt like I was slapped on the face by the thoughts of my own mortality.

Someone told me that things like this get easier with time, the truth is that they don't - you just learn to deal with them better