The Random Comic Strip

The Random Comic Strip

Words to live by...

"How beautiful it is to do nothing, and to rest afterward."

[Spanish Proverb]

Ius luxuriae publice datum est

(The right to looseness has been officially given)

"Everyone carries a part of society on his shoulders," wrote Ludwig von Mises, "no one is relieved of his share of responsibility by others. And no one can find a safe way for himself if society is sweeping towards destruction. Therefore everyone, in his own interest, must thrust himself vigorously into the intellectual battle."

Apparently, the crossword puzzle that disappeared from the blog, came back.


Sunday, August 9, 2009

German'

A little while back I wrote about my friend, mi amigo grande, who is battling cancer... and losing. I have not been a good friend to this man but that did not seem to matter. I abused our friendship. He did not seem to care.

And now I cannot make up for that. Many people have offered condolences to me, expressed sadness about the pending loss of a friend. But my loss is nothing compared to his family's. I am losing a friend, a man I have known for many decades, but not someone I have known all my life. Friends often come and go, some stay with you, some move on (or you do). You pick and choose friends. Family is different.

He has two daughters and two grandchildren. They all adore him. You can see it in their eyes and in the way they talk and act around him. He has an ex-wife who has returned to his house to care for him. She regrets leaving him before, I think.

His daughters are beautiful people. One is a teacher, the other a psychologist. Young and full of life and optimism.

They are going through a very hard time. I cannot imagine how difficult this is for them. I have lost both my parents but not at so young an age. And to lose a man of such character... well, it is beyond words.

I received an email from his daughters today. A sad one. German' has entered Hospice, deteriorated rapidly and is no longer alert. They have informed us (myself and his many other friends) that he may go at any time.

German' has lived a full life. He is loved by all who know him. No man can ask for more than that.

I am fortunate to have had him in my life.

3 comments:

Michael Horvath said...

Wonderful tribute Douglas.

The Jules said...

It's still your loss as well Douglas.

Touching words mate.

MilesPerHour said...

Wonderful tribute Douglas.