The Random Comic Strip

The Random Comic Strip

Words to live by...

"How beautiful it is to do nothing, and to rest afterward."

[Spanish Proverb]

Ius luxuriae publice datum est

(The right to looseness has been officially given)

"Everyone carries a part of society on his shoulders," wrote Ludwig von Mises, "no one is relieved of his share of responsibility by others. And no one can find a safe way for himself if society is sweeping towards destruction. Therefore everyone, in his own interest, must thrust himself vigorously into the intellectual battle."

Apparently, the crossword puzzle that disappeared from the blog, came back.


Thursday, July 8, 2010

This is gonna hurt


After the Great Kneecap Incident, and a suitable recovery period, I went through a 6 week period of rehab. Rehab consisted of a light leg exercise (what's called "leg curls") and a combination sound and electrical stimulation. Toward the end of that rehab period, I had begun playing golf again.

Now that I am back to playing 3 times a week, I find I still need some additional exercise that will build up the thigh muscle on the injured (left) leg. As the doctor explained, it takes around 3 days for the muscles in our legs to atrophy from lack of use. It takes many weeks to get it back to "normal" strength. I have a long way to go.

Faye decided that we should join the local YMCA so that we can get regular exercise and that it would be good for us. So she signed us up. Today was my first day.

I like it. I always enjoy the first few days of exercise. Even the stiffness and soreness. I know better than do too much on the first few visits. It's easy to do that, you know. We don't realize just how out of shape we are until the day after we first start an exercise regimen. It is the soreness, and the weakness that accompanies it, that reminds us. And encourages us to go back to our sedentary lifestyle.

It reminds me of the first day back at school after summer vacation and that first day of Phys. Ed. I also remember the second day back and the inability to control the sore and aching muscles that the seemingly endless exercises Coach had put us through had created. Coach's answer to that soreness (as with all things, it seemed) was more exercise.

I am essentially lazy and will tire of getting out and to the Y at least 3 days a week. I know this about myself. It is my nature and I do not begrudge it. Still, I am getting older and light exercise is good for me. So I will try to create a habit of going three days a week. I will also try to not talk myself out of maintaining that habit.

I am clever and convincing so I must be on my guard against myself at all times. I am my own "snake in the garden", always tempting myself down the wrong path. This is why I am not filthy rich and powerful. I cannot blame The Man for keeping me down. I could, it would be easier on myself if I did. But it would be false.

Still, right now I am basking in the warmth of soon to be sore muscles. Muscles that I was no longer sure I had. All is right with the world. Tomorrow? Well, maybe not so right.

No comments: