The Random Comic Strip

The Random Comic Strip

Words to live by...

"How beautiful it is to do nothing, and to rest afterward."

[Spanish Proverb]

Ius luxuriae publice datum est

(The right to looseness has been officially given)

"Everyone carries a part of society on his shoulders," wrote Ludwig von Mises, "no one is relieved of his share of responsibility by others. And no one can find a safe way for himself if society is sweeping towards destruction. Therefore everyone, in his own interest, must thrust himself vigorously into the intellectual battle."

Apparently, the crossword puzzle that disappeared from the blog, came back.


Friday, May 4, 2012

Adrift in revery


A thought came to me today that really and truly depressed me...

Someday these will be someone's "Good old days."

This, of course, begat the concept that Rap will one day be part of the "Golden Oldies."
I'm not sure I can wrap my head around those thoughts.  It's a bit frightening. The thoughts hit me while leafing through a notebook my late father-in-law had kept containing bumper stickers he had seen. I had read most of them on the backs of cars many years ago. One of them I even had on the back of my Datsun pickup... 


It read

"I am the person your mother warned you about"

He didn't have the other one that truck sported, it went...


Love is just a passing fanny

My girlfriend at the time (whose name, oddly, was Faye... who later became wife vers 2.0) did not think it was so amusing.

That was the early 80's and I was finally single again after years lost in the deep dark  pits of a bad marriage. It all came back to me as I read through that notebook. A mixture of pleasant and unpleasant thoughts.

 

2 comments:

The Jules said...

That second one is funnier if you're British.

Douglas4517 said...

 Caused me a spot of work, you did.  Had to look that up.