The Random Comic Strip

The Random Comic Strip

Words to live by...

"How beautiful it is to do nothing, and to rest afterward."

[Spanish Proverb]

Ius luxuriae publice datum est

(The right to looseness has been officially given)

"Everyone carries a part of society on his shoulders," wrote Ludwig von Mises, "no one is relieved of his share of responsibility by others. And no one can find a safe way for himself if society is sweeping towards destruction. Therefore everyone, in his own interest, must thrust himself vigorously into the intellectual battle."

Apparently, the crossword puzzle that disappeared from the blog, came back.


Thursday, May 17, 2012

Travels and rituals


After having traveled extensively the past month, it seems my journeys are not over. I must leave town again in a couple of weeks to attend the wedding of my wife's niece in New Orleans. The trip should only take 5 days. I will get a chance to visit New Orleans but not enough time to thoroughly explore it. Nor will it be that greatest of all times to be in that city. It will be very warm and very humid and it will not be Mardis Gras time.

We will be staying in the French Quarter and I think I will enjoy that.

I will not, however, enjoy the wedding. I will tolerate it, I will smile at the appropriate times, I will seem pleased to be there to those around me, but I will not enjoy it. You see, I do not like such things. I do not like,though I appreciate, rituals such as this.

I don't know why this is so. As far back as I can recall, I have been uncomfortable with elaborate ritual. I have come to accept this as a part of my nature. I also have come to accept that most people do not share my aversion.

So I will go. And no one will know my true feelings.

6 comments:

Steven Scott said...

it's stressing me out. bought a suit that i'll never wear again for some reason. i have to read something apparently.

Douglas4517 said...

 Drat! I forgot about you reading my post. You now know my true feelings about these things. Faye is pressuring me to buy a suit also. I am resisting. I have not been told I have to speak or read anything. OTOH, I am sure you will do well and I am looking forward to seeing you again.

Pearl said...

The ritual is a reminder that we are bound, that it's not just the couple marrying but the interweaving of families.  

And then there's a party.

As I tell other:  Relax.  Some day, no one will invite you to anything at all.  :-)

Pearl

Douglas4517 said...

 I understand these rituals, really. And you have described their purpose beautifully.
It doesn't make it any easier on me.

Steven Scott said...

oh, i'm right there with you...but oh well, i'll make it through somehow

Cindyhaire54 said...

I'm with you on the whole wedding, party or any other celebration, not for me.