The Random Comic Strip

The Random Comic Strip

Words to live by...

"How beautiful it is to do nothing, and to rest afterward."

[Spanish Proverb]

Ius luxuriae publice datum est

(The right to looseness has been officially given)

"Everyone carries a part of society on his shoulders," wrote Ludwig von Mises, "no one is relieved of his share of responsibility by others. And no one can find a safe way for himself if society is sweeping towards destruction. Therefore everyone, in his own interest, must thrust himself vigorously into the intellectual battle."

Apparently, the crossword puzzle that disappeared from the blog, came back.


Saturday, September 19, 2009

Saturday Musings

First, let me explain that I am not fully recovered from yesterday's golf outing. Or the dinner I ate at Bob Evans Restaurant last night. Maybe mostly the latter. After spending most of a (very!) hot day outside playing golf, I don't like to eat too much. And restaurants give us way too much food these days . So I order something called the "Savor Size", which the waitress says (in response to my obvious query) is about a half portion, of the grilled chicken and broccoli alfredo.

Well... It ain't no "half portion". More like two-thirds plus. My will power, wilted from a day in the sun, is weak but I manage to eat less than the whole thing. Followed by a slice of pumpkin pie (I said my will power was weak! Gimme a break here)

I have to admit I was tired and succumbed to a Brownie Bite or 3 and a small bowl of sherbet a few hours later too.

But I did sleep well last night.

Today, of course, will be spent catching up on all those things I didn't do over the last 5 days. Maybe I should rephrase that... yeah, change "catching up on" to "thinking about".

Since I retired, I don't seem to have a lot of ambition. Not that I had much before I retired (which explains my lack of renown and meager net worth), mind you, but you would think I would try to emulate a life form a bit higher than your average slug.

So, I'll do a bit of reading, catch a Saturday morning financial news show or two (to explain why my net worth is still meager in spite of my oh-so-clever investment strategies), maybe take a shot at finding out what broke that 42" plasma TV... if I can find the Phillips head screwdriver... and contemplate the next exciting week.

No comments: