The Random Comic Strip

The Random Comic Strip

Words to live by...

"How beautiful it is to do nothing, and to rest afterward."

[Spanish Proverb]

Ius luxuriae publice datum est

(The right to looseness has been officially given)

"Everyone carries a part of society on his shoulders," wrote Ludwig von Mises, "no one is relieved of his share of responsibility by others. And no one can find a safe way for himself if society is sweeping towards destruction. Therefore everyone, in his own interest, must thrust himself vigorously into the intellectual battle."

Apparently, the crossword puzzle that disappeared from the blog, came back.


Monday, September 10, 2012

Yeah, I've already said this


I'm a cynic. I've told you this before... more than once. Maybe too often. I can't help being a cynic, it's genetic. At least, that's my excuse. Nothing in my life has ever even hinted to me that it's wrong to be cynical. Being cynical is beneficial.

Cynicism protects you from:
Swindlers, card sharps, salesmen, and gold diggers.

Cynicism does not help you with:
Friends, bargains, and great opportunities.

I figure that's a fair trade-off. Any cynic would. 

I am contemplating making some changes here. Perhaps shorter posts and posting them randomly. I got very little feedback about the comment system (only one comment) but you could have guessed I was leaning toward scrapping Disqus and I have done so.


5 comments:

The Jules said...

Ooh, wasn't a big fan of Disqus. Seemed a faff.

I'm cynical about it.

Torggil said...

Neither was I. The system wouldn't alow me to post comments on certain machines.

Douglas said...

Now that I have switched back to Blogger's comment system, I see that has changed a bit.

Unknown said...

"Cynicism lacks any real conviction. It doesn't like the game as it's being played, and so it spoils it.
At bottom, cynicism is a cheap and shoddy response to a life we are afraid to love because it might, for a time, be painful."
-Julia Cameron, The Sound of Paper

Douglas said...

Audrey... “Every ounce of my cynicism is supported by historical precedent.”
― Glen Cook