The Random Comic Strip

The Random Comic Strip

Words to live by...

"How beautiful it is to do nothing, and to rest afterward."

[Spanish Proverb]

Ius luxuriae publice datum est

(The right to looseness has been officially given)

"Everyone carries a part of society on his shoulders," wrote Ludwig von Mises, "no one is relieved of his share of responsibility by others. And no one can find a safe way for himself if society is sweeping towards destruction. Therefore everyone, in his own interest, must thrust himself vigorously into the intellectual battle."

Apparently, the crossword puzzle that disappeared from the blog, came back.


Thursday, July 11, 2013

Fast Food and Bad Health


I happened to get into an exchange with someone the other day that bothered me. It wasn't that it was a heated exchange, it was the context and the accusation tossed toward the end.

The exchange was in the comments about the plane crash in San Francisco. I asked what I thought was a simple question:

I am curious. We have cameras on street corners, in small stores, at ATM machines... why are there no cameras trained on aircraft approaches to runways?

I was answered in this way:

How many times does something like this happen? Wouldn't it be more prudent to place cameras at a McDonalds to watch for heart attacks?



In response, I pointed out that heart attacks rarely happen at McDonalds and that a heart attack only kills one person while plane crashes usually kill many more.

I was later accused by the responder of making a "knee jerk outrageous response" (presumably by asking about video cameras on runways) which seemed quite odd to me since bringing up heart attacks and McDonald's seemed quite off-topic.

But that got me to thinking, why is McDonald's the villain in heart attacks? I realize that McDonald's sells fast food and that fast food consumption is deemed unhealthy but is it to blame for the fact that heart disease is the #1 killer of adults in the U.S.?  Was heart disease not a major killer before 1954?

It seems to me that heart disease was a major problem well before that.

I'd like to point out that heart disease, though not a heart attack, killed my father and he rarely, if ever, ate any fast food.  And that he lived to be 84. That his father died of a stroke at 65 (in 1955), as did his grandfather (well before 1954, obviously).

You see, I think genetics has a lot to do with heart disease, as do poor overall diets, lack of exercise, and a number of other things. I would not recommend eating fast food every day, however.

No comments: