The Random Comic Strip

The Random Comic Strip

Words to live by...

"How beautiful it is to do nothing, and to rest afterward."

[Spanish Proverb]

Ius luxuriae publice datum est

(The right to looseness has been officially given)

"Everyone carries a part of society on his shoulders," wrote Ludwig von Mises, "no one is relieved of his share of responsibility by others. And no one can find a safe way for himself if society is sweeping towards destruction. Therefore everyone, in his own interest, must thrust himself vigorously into the intellectual battle."

Apparently, the crossword puzzle that disappeared from the blog, came back.


Monday, July 22, 2013

Gadgets and TV


I used to have  Nook. I gave it to my mother-in-law as a gift. Her eyesight is poor, and getting worse, and the ability to increase the text size is useful to her. It was gathering dust as I had moved on to a 10" tablet which doubles as an eReader and a general time waster. What is a "time waster?" Simple, it is something to play with while commercials are on when I am watching live TV (I generally record programs to watch later and can FF through commercials on those).

Time wasters are the solitaire apps, the Stickman golf game apps, the crossword puzzle apps, the news apps (I have three), and so on. As the screen goes to commercial, I grab the tablet and select the time waster. For 2 minutes, I can exercise my brain (minimal exercise though it may be) instead of pay attention to the "But wait!'s" for the "incredibly low priced" gadget that I really don't need and would just gather dust somewhere. I have a number of these lying around... because I sometimes pay attention to those ads and succumb. I am only human, of course. Something I have always tried to overcome.


I used to grab a book or a magazine and read for a bit, now I am living the "digital life."
 

1 comment:

Steven said...

I just gave my dad an old tablet I had sitting around and apparently he can't put it down. It seems to be easier for him than the computer that he approaches with...not trepidation, but caution, maybe. I like putting on old star trek episodes and playing CrossMe or CrossMe Color - great games