The Random Comic Strip

The Random Comic Strip

Words to live by...

"How beautiful it is to do nothing, and to rest afterward."

[Spanish Proverb]

Ius luxuriae publice datum est

(The right to looseness has been officially given)

"Everyone carries a part of society on his shoulders," wrote Ludwig von Mises, "no one is relieved of his share of responsibility by others. And no one can find a safe way for himself if society is sweeping towards destruction. Therefore everyone, in his own interest, must thrust himself vigorously into the intellectual battle."

Apparently, the crossword puzzle that disappeared from the blog, came back.


Friday, December 12, 2008

Farewell, Betty, You will be missed.

This is a time of mourning for all who were boys in the 1950s. Betty Page has passed away. If you don't know who she was, there is no explanation beyond her photos and the drawings of her.






When I was 18, I met a young lady from Massachusetts who had the Betty Page bangs and those eyes. I was smitten. Unfortunately, her father kept a close eye on her and me at a distance.

7 comments:

Neo said...

can I say wow...
I think I am just a little younger than you, super models and such in my life are Farah, Cheryl Tegues and that grouping
but this lady looks daring for the 50's I'm glad you posted this. :)

Anonymous said...

She certainly was daring for the 50s, I'm a little younger than Douglas, and still playing cowboys & indians to the dethe...

AV

Robot Nine said...

Ah, I did not no she had passed. Yes, she fired my imagination and in reference to your next post, she definitely had 'it'.

Robot Nine said...

And by the way, the small pic on the right with the stool- I feel my red blood pumping a bit faster. WOW!

Meadow said...

Hi Douglas,

These are lovely words.

I'm female and born in the 70's yet recognise Betty as an icon. She was ahead of her time and always a lady.

Douglas said...

Meadow - She was, by all accounts, a bit innocent of the effect she had on those around her. And, then, in 1958 became religious, possibly repented her past, and apparently devoted her life to helping others. A fascinating person.

Welcome to my blog.

Meadow said...

Hi Douglas,

These are lovely words.

I'm female and born in the 70's yet recognise Betty as an icon. She was ahead of her time and always a lady.