The Random Comic Strip

The Random Comic Strip

Words to live by...

"How beautiful it is to do nothing, and to rest afterward."

[Spanish Proverb]

Ius luxuriae publice datum est

(The right to looseness has been officially given)

"Everyone carries a part of society on his shoulders," wrote Ludwig von Mises, "no one is relieved of his share of responsibility by others. And no one can find a safe way for himself if society is sweeping towards destruction. Therefore everyone, in his own interest, must thrust himself vigorously into the intellectual battle."

Apparently, the crossword puzzle that disappeared from the blog, came back.


Thursday, December 25, 2008

Eartha, baby!


The world lost a great lady on Christmas Day. Maybe the sultriest voice to ever tickle an ear. Eartha Kitt was 81. Some of you might remember her from movies, some from her role as "Catwoman" on the TV series Batman. But you all should know her from her singing. Her vocals were the most distinctive and sexiest I have ever heard.
I highly recommend you visit Youtube and search for the videos featuring her but especially these two:

I want to be Evil




Santa Baby































She was a fine actress who enjoyed her naughtier roles. She was unashamed of her sexuality and made no effort to hide it.



Goodbye, Eartha, there will never be another even remotely like you.

9 comments:

Neo said...

wow, I remember catwoman, I used to watch that show all the time, me and my bro used be glued to the tv in that time slot. And yes a wonderful voice.

Anonymous said...

Eartha Kitt, wiil always be remembered by all those who heard her. I had no idea she was that old already.

AV
http://netherregionoftheearthii.blogspot.com/
http://tomusarcanum.blogspot.com/
http://thingsthatfizz.blogspot.com/

underOvr (aka The U) said...

Before Madonna, there was Eartha Kitt; the entertainment industry had no idea how to successfully utilize a talented African American woman that would not be defined by sterotypes. That did not stop her though; she found success by defining her own way.

I remember in 1968 she made news because she spoke against the war in Vietnam while at a White House luncheon. Although times have changed; there will never be another "Eartha Kitt", a truely one of a kind woman.

underOvr

Barry said...

I agree that she "was unashamed of her sexuality and made no effort to hide it", but she also didn't take it too seriously. Along with her sexuality she had a wicked sense of humour and really seemed to enjoy life.

Shonda Little said...

Wow, she was breathtaking.

Douglas said...

AV - I understand she was performing just a couple of months ago. She seemed ageless.

Neo - I missed most of her Catwoman (Navy didn't give me much TV time)

U- Madonna is not sexy, not sensual, and should not be mentioned in the same sentence as Eartha Kitt.

Barry - A better word might have been sensual to describe her. Yes, she definitley had fun with it. Her self-description of "sex kitten" says it all.

Shonda - She made a lot of us breathless.

Argentum Vulgaris said...

Eartha Kitt, wiil always be remembered by all those who heard her. I had no idea she was that old already.

AV
http://netherregionoftheearthii.blogspot.com/
http://tomusarcanum.blogspot.com/
http://thingsthatfizz.blogspot.com/

Neo said...

wow, I remember catwoman, I used to watch that show all the time, me and my bro used be glued to the tv in that time slot. And yes a wonderful voice.

Shonda Little said...

Wow, she was breathtaking.