The Random Comic Strip

The Random Comic Strip

Words to live by...

"How beautiful it is to do nothing, and to rest afterward."

[Spanish Proverb]

Ius luxuriae publice datum est

(The right to looseness has been officially given)

"Everyone carries a part of society on his shoulders," wrote Ludwig von Mises, "no one is relieved of his share of responsibility by others. And no one can find a safe way for himself if society is sweeping towards destruction. Therefore everyone, in his own interest, must thrust himself vigorously into the intellectual battle."

Apparently, the crossword puzzle that disappeared from the blog, came back.


Friday, March 13, 2009

Friday the 13th

I am a little late posting today and don't have a prepared piece. It's a golf day so I get nothing done in the morning anyway but some other things are happening around here today.

On Tuesday each week, Faye and I meet with a group of couples for dinner at some restaurant around town. These are people that we both know; Faye through her work in tax preparation, me from golf. It's a decent crowd, maybe 16 people at most but usually 12 show up. It gets us out of the house, gives the cooks a break, helps the local economy, and makes for a pleasant social gathering. Next week, however, we are doing something a little different. We are having them over for a lasagna dinner.

Faye makes a great lasagna. The problem is that it is difficult to make it for just three so I only get to taste when there is enough company over.

What this means is that the house gets extra cleaning. And it means that I have to catch up on some chores, like cleaning my desk, picking up the computer parts and boxes that are strewn about, and so forth. It also means that Faye wants to burn a music CD to play in the background. This last is what interfered the most with my blog today. Faye is pretty good at this but she usually needs just a little help.

I have to admit, I am a little puzzled over how my computers are linked. The media is supposed to be linked through the router for the DSL. We do not have a formal LAN but this is supposed to be a network. I can see Faye's music and access it from my desktop and I can see the laptop's music and access it. The laptop can see both her media and my desktop. But Faye's computer can only see the laptop. Chaos reigns. I guess I need a "Networking for Dummies" manual.

But I managed to burn the CD she wanted (79 MP3 files). And then I burned another MP3 CD for my car (7 hours of music).

And now I can finally write and post this.

But I did win $25 (net) at golf today.

[854/855]

3 comments:

Neo said...

are the computers all the same o/s?
I have had some trouble getting my xp to see my vista

Douglas said...

Yes, all three are running Vista. It is quite odd since only Faye's does not see my desktop. The other two see both. Everything is set the same on each. What works for two should, logically speaking, work for all. It means I am overlooking something.

Douglas said...

Yes, all three are running Vista. It is quite odd since only Faye's does not see my desktop. The other two see both. Everything is set the same on each. What works for two should, logically speaking, work for all. It means I am overlooking something.