The Random Comic Strip

The Random Comic Strip

Words to live by...

"How beautiful it is to do nothing, and to rest afterward."

[Spanish Proverb]

Ius luxuriae publice datum est

(The right to looseness has been officially given)

"Everyone carries a part of society on his shoulders," wrote Ludwig von Mises, "no one is relieved of his share of responsibility by others. And no one can find a safe way for himself if society is sweeping towards destruction. Therefore everyone, in his own interest, must thrust himself vigorously into the intellectual battle."

Apparently, the crossword puzzle that disappeared from the blog, came back.


Monday, March 9, 2009

I Got Nothin'!

Ever have one of those days? You just can't seem to get started. It is especially troubling if you want to write something. I toyed with various ideas but got nowhere. I'd start out fine but within a few paragraphs, I'd decide it wasn't what I wanted. Or maybe it looked like it was going to be too long. Or some other idea seemed more attractive.

Writer's block. A terrible thing. It comes in many forms, this is one I call "stuttering overload". Many ideas that just don't pan out. I suppose that's better than the "empty head" version. That one scares me. There's also the "rather boring" model which essentially means anything I write bores me silly within 5 sentences. And if I am bored, believe me, you will be too.

So, basically, I got nothin'. Except you. And I figure you can help me. You've done it before. Some comment you made or a blog you wrote (if you are a blogger) planted a seed in my head and I then turned it into a post.

Here's what I propose. I will give you a list of subjects and you choose one or you offer a different subject instead. Ok?

1. Chance meetings which change your life.
2. A day in the life of a sailor at sea.
3. Are plants intelligent?
4. A high school date gone wrong, really wrong.
5. Failed hobbies and pastimes.

There you go. If none of those tweak your imagination and you have an idea you'd like to someone else (me, for instance) write about, here's your chance to pass it on. Who knows? It might just intrigue me.

Now, if you don't like any of those choices and you are thinking "Hey! This is his blog, why should I have to think up something for him?" then I guess I will be on my own tomorrow.

3 comments:

The Jules said...

Hmm, intelligent plants eh?

I recall that there was once some "research" which suggested that plants feel and react to painful stimuli, so that your sprouts scream (electromagnetically) as they're loewred into the pan like some scene out of Indiana Jones.

Although it was probably researched by a seed-eating, crystal-wearing homeopathic holistic nutritionist with a degree in chakra balancing from the university of Rangoon though, so peer review might be lacking.

Good luck!

Bagman and Butler said...

I read the same article The Jules did, I think...or one like it. In fact, the plants screamed when the plant next to them got hurt.

The Jules said...

Hmm, intelligent plants eh?

I recall that there was once some "research" which suggested that plants feel and react to painful stimuli, so that your sprouts scream (electromagnetically) as they're loewred into the pan like some scene out of Indiana Jones.

Although it was probably researched by a seed-eating, crystal-wearing homeopathic holistic nutritionist with a degree in chakra balancing from the university of Rangoon though, so peer review might be lacking.

Good luck!