The Random Comic Strip

The Random Comic Strip

Words to live by...

"How beautiful it is to do nothing, and to rest afterward."

[Spanish Proverb]

Ius luxuriae publice datum est

(The right to looseness has been officially given)

"Everyone carries a part of society on his shoulders," wrote Ludwig von Mises, "no one is relieved of his share of responsibility by others. And no one can find a safe way for himself if society is sweeping towards destruction. Therefore everyone, in his own interest, must thrust himself vigorously into the intellectual battle."

Apparently, the crossword puzzle that disappeared from the blog, came back.


Monday, August 31, 2009

The Big Sleep

 I find my reading tastes wander all over the place. A few weeks ago, I caught a showing of The Big Sleep with Humphrey Bogart and Lauren Bacall. I decided I ought to read the book. Especially after the host mentioned how they had cleaned up the story quite a bit.

 So, now I am reading the novel and finding it fascinating. Not just because I am understanding what was alluded to, but not mentioned or portrayed, in the movie. Which I am, by the way because it is a classic  But because I am finding myself with a picture of Los Angeles circa 1939. Also with American culture in that period.

Trust me, it is not politically correct.

I find myself understanding exactly why Bogart was cast in the leading role. And how poorly some others were cast.

In many ways, I am sorry I didn't live during the thirties and forties. There are some bad things that went on in our culture that we wouldn't tolerate today. But it was such an interesting period in the last century. The world was on the brink of war and was experiencing it in many countries and regions in the thirties, America was still struggling its way out of the Great Depression. So many changes were taking place. And many more changes were to come.

If I could travel through time, it is a period I would definitely visit.

And, in a way, with books time travel is possible.

No comments: