The Random Comic Strip

The Random Comic Strip

Words to live by...

"How beautiful it is to do nothing, and to rest afterward."

[Spanish Proverb]

Ius luxuriae publice datum est

(The right to looseness has been officially given)

"Everyone carries a part of society on his shoulders," wrote Ludwig von Mises, "no one is relieved of his share of responsibility by others. And no one can find a safe way for himself if society is sweeping towards destruction. Therefore everyone, in his own interest, must thrust himself vigorously into the intellectual battle."

Apparently, the crossword puzzle that disappeared from the blog, came back.


Monday, August 3, 2009

Nothin' much to say...

But I'll say it anyway.

As I threatened yesterday, I played golf today. Well, it really isn't golf the way I play it. But I had fun... mostly... except for a few holes where I did not have any fun at all. But my mistakes were mostly small ones (for me) so I could shrug them off. Golf is a great teacher for that... the shrugging off of mistakes. One of the things you have to learn is to forget. Forget that last shot that didn't go the way you wanted. Concentrate on the next, believe you can do whatever it is that is needed, then try.

Lots of talk about the Cash for Clunkers program today. I can't take advantage of it. My oldest car is an `06. And it's paid for. Both of my cars are paid for. That amazes me. (My first car was debt free too. Of course, it only cost $80) My house is paid for also. That truly amazes me. The first time I bought a house I didn't think I would ever be able to pay it off. I was right about that, I suppose, since I gave it up when I got that divorce.

It reminds me of the day my father paid off his house. He had run the loan out to its full thirty years. I had never seen him so happy, so proud of himself. It was less than ten years later he had to move out of that house and into assisted living. That was the most miserable day of his life. He never really got over it.

The Cash for Clunkers program is being called a great success by some. I am not sure how. It was poorly planned and underfunded and may be shut down if they can't get another $2 Billion out of Congress for it. Strange definition of "success", I'd say.

Even though I don't need one, I find myself looking at new cars. Maybe it's a guy thing. Or maybe a part of being an American. But I can't help it. I want to buy new things, to have new things. But I won't do it. I know that. I am too much of a pragmatic cheapskate.

I have to be... otherwise I'd always be broke.

No comments: