The Random Comic Strip

The Random Comic Strip

Words to live by...

"How beautiful it is to do nothing, and to rest afterward."

[Spanish Proverb]

Ius luxuriae publice datum est

(The right to looseness has been officially given)

"Everyone carries a part of society on his shoulders," wrote Ludwig von Mises, "no one is relieved of his share of responsibility by others. And no one can find a safe way for himself if society is sweeping towards destruction. Therefore everyone, in his own interest, must thrust himself vigorously into the intellectual battle."

Apparently, the crossword puzzle that disappeared from the blog, came back.


Sunday, August 16, 2009

No Way!

http://www.boston.com/bostonglobe/ideas/articles/2009/08/16/way_in/

I ran across the above article in the Boston Globe about the usage of "way". I read articles like this because I am pedantic at heart and I want to know I am not alone. That there are people who not only are interested but that some even make a living from this quirk.

James Kilpatrick was one. Though it was not his main source of income. He, a staunch conservative, was best known for his part in a segment of "60 Minutes" called "Point-Counterpoint". In the segment, he and Shana Alexander would debate some current political issue. You may know of this only by the parody on Saturday Night Live with Jane Curtain and Dan Akroyd.

Kilpatrick also wrote a conservative political column that was syndicated nationally. In addition, he wrote one which was called "The Writer's Art", which is why I bring him up. These columns would mull over the usage of phrases and words and how they were improperly, or properly, used in various print media. He also wrote a number of books on the subject.

The reason that I remember his column is that he disappointed me so in one of them. I wanted to write to him and complain. The column of offense included a piece on the use of the phrase "try and..." vs "try to..."

I bring this up because the phrase "try and..." has become acceptable. Not to me, of course, but to the Powers That Be (henceforth, PTB) who decide what is acceptable word usage. It seemed to me that the PTB gave in much too easily to the masses on this one.

The phrase is used in this manner... "I will try and pick that up for you when I go to the store." You cannot try to do something and then do it in the same sentence is how I look at it. Doesn't it make more sense to say "I will try to pick that up for you...?" It also rolls off the tongue more easily.

Perhaps it bothers me because I move my mental lips when I read. That is, I read out loud to myself inside my head. I even envision speaking to an audience while reading, as if I am reciting passages or reading a story to children.

The worst thing is that it, the "try and...", has become the norm. I read books and it is rampant throughout each. And I mentally correct it as I read. I can't help it.

But that is not what that Boston Globe column focused on. It focused on the use of the word "way" as an adjective. It was quite informative. I hadn't ever thought about it as proper or improper usage. I mean, I did consider "way cool" as likely to be improper usage but I never thought of "way off" as such.

Now I will. I will be mentally replacing it with "far" as I read it. Even though the column points out that it has become acceptable usage.

I sometimes think the world is out to make my life way miserable.


[1689/1690/1559]

4 comments:

Neo said...

again I am captured by your choice of subject and style writing it.

"try and; seems to have an improper "hill billy" sound to it when I read, I also "read to myself" as you described. Not to be judgmental, or critical; I always saw myself a few calibers above "hill billy"

Neo said...

PS. I have been a bit beside myself and not reading blogs for a few weeks now; this is the first time I have seen this new format on your blog, I would like to say I like it very much,easy to focus on and the wider rule does seem more professional.

Douglas said...

Neo - then I must be a bit "snooty" myself. And thanks for the compliments on the blog appearance.

Neo said...

PS. I have been a bit beside myself and not reading blogs for a few weeks now; this is the first time I have seen this new format on your blog, I would like to say I like it very much,easy to focus on and the wider rule does seem more professional.