The Random Comic Strip

The Random Comic Strip

Words to live by...

"How beautiful it is to do nothing, and to rest afterward."

[Spanish Proverb]

Ius luxuriae publice datum est

(The right to looseness has been officially given)

"Everyone carries a part of society on his shoulders," wrote Ludwig von Mises, "no one is relieved of his share of responsibility by others. And no one can find a safe way for himself if society is sweeping towards destruction. Therefore everyone, in his own interest, must thrust himself vigorously into the intellectual battle."

Apparently, the crossword puzzle that disappeared from the blog, came back.


Friday, November 20, 2009

Eat up, People in China are starving!

I've been thinking about food lately. I do this around this time every year, what with Thanksgiving approaching and all. Not that I do not think about food the rest of the year. I do. Daily, in fact. It's just that those are more mundane thoughts, You know, food as survival or to satisfy hunger pangs, that kind of thing.

Faye and I go out to eat 2 or 3 times a week. We don't have to, of course, Faye doesn't demand it. We would just not eat dinner on those days otherwise because she would not cook and I am too lazy. And inept. I haven't cooked since I was single (or separated). I have no idea how I survived. I do know I weighed a lot less than I do now.

I have noticed a trend over the years in restaurants. The traditional vegetables have all but disappeared. In their place, we now see "vegetable medleys" which are made up of all the things most All American males (and just about any child) will not eat unless forced to. Waxed Beans? Cauliflower? Asparagus? Other things whose names I do not know (or want to).

What happened to corn? And peas? And string beans or carrots? Sure, you can get these at your local Denny's or Village Inn but why not at your local steak house? Where they do not recruit the cooks at the parole office. You know, nice places.

Sigh...

6 comments:

tattytiara said...

Perhaps the trend is simply to favor things that roll off the plate less easily, and the higher end restaurant servers have more powerful unions to enforce the menu change.

Douglas said...

I like the way you think. And your cat looks familiar.

Michael said...

Steak in Hong Kong is usually served with a side of peas and carrots and mash. It's just the way we were taught by the Westerners to do it. I actually am really lazy when it comes to cooking, and here at university, I have done the bare minimum I have to in order to feed myself. I loved eating out every night in Hong Kong, not so sure why it's a big problem for most other people.

They say it's unhealthy, expensive, and not that good-tasting, but restaurant food definitely tastes good to me, and is worth eating!

Michael.
Do you hate it too?
"If you're going through Hell, keep going."
Holy Holism!

What's that? A new blog? Maybe...

Douglas said...

Michael, The only real problem with restaurant food is the portions. Too much of everything. When you are young and your activity level and energy levels deal with it, no problem. But then you reach that age where you become more "efficient" and the food is just stored. I am learning to not eat everything on the plate and to love "doggie bags".
I will be perusing that new blog.

Douglas said...

I like the way you think. And your cat looks familiar.

Michael said...

Steak in Hong Kong is usually served with a side of peas and carrots and mash. It's just the way we were taught by the Westerners to do it. I actually am really lazy when it comes to cooking, and here at university, I have done the bare minimum I have to in order to feed myself. I loved eating out every night in Hong Kong, not so sure why it's a big problem for most other people.

They say it's unhealthy, expensive, and not that good-tasting, but restaurant food definitely tastes good to me, and is worth eating!

Michael.
Do you hate it too?
"If you're going through Hell, keep going."
Holy Holism!

What's that? A new blog? Maybe...