The Random Comic Strip

The Random Comic Strip

Words to live by...

"How beautiful it is to do nothing, and to rest afterward."

[Spanish Proverb]

Ius luxuriae publice datum est

(The right to looseness has been officially given)

"Everyone carries a part of society on his shoulders," wrote Ludwig von Mises, "no one is relieved of his share of responsibility by others. And no one can find a safe way for himself if society is sweeping towards destruction. Therefore everyone, in his own interest, must thrust himself vigorously into the intellectual battle."

Apparently, the crossword puzzle that disappeared from the blog, came back.


Saturday, November 14, 2009

Giving Medusa a Perm

I am feeling so much better today that I thought I would do something dangerous and possibly mind-boggling. Upgrade from Vista to Windows 7. I have no problem with Vista, it seems to run remarkably well but I have been exposed to Windows 7 and like what I see.

I am not so foolish as to upgrade all three Vista computers at the same time so I have selected a guinea pig, my laptop. Of the 4 functioning computers in the house, it is the most expendable. If I mung it up, I can do a recovery on it and, hopefully, restore it to its previous glory. If I can't restore it completely then it is no loss since it contains nothing that does not already exist on two of the other desktops.

There is a reason its name is Stepchild.

I have done upgrades before and they have gone well so I likely have a false sense of security here. But I also know that the odd disaster can strike at any time. So, I am making my recovery disks (a task I ignored when I first got the laptop) and then doing a full backup to an external HD. This will take a few hours.

If things go as planned, I will be fully a third of the way through my household upgrade plan by the time the Dolphins beat the Buccaneers this afternoon.

But then things never go as planned, do they?

6 comments:

Paul E. Giroux said...

You're right about things not always going to plan .... the Bucs may actually PLAY football and win.

Have fun with 7

Cheri said...

Glad your health is returning in full!

Naming your laptop Stepchild is just looking for trouble.

After dealing with the satellite folks for 8 days with no internet connection, and then purchasing my new laptop, I hired a person to migrate everything to it; that is, to my laptop named Maxwell.

I could have figured it out myself, but the residual antagonism was still too palpable.

Michael said...

I've been thinking about changing to 7. Apparently, it's very cool.

Michael.
Do you hate it too?
"If you're going through Hell, keep going."

Neo said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Neo said...

I remember back in the day, got an A-Square computer from a garage sale, was loaded with Win2000 and the seller did not know the password to log on, in a collective purchase, 3 towers, some keyboards and a monitor I figured the cost averaged out to about $8.39 It became my guinea pig... formatted to a record setting slow xp os (processor was only a 220; recommended processor to run xp was 750 I think)
I know you will, but just let me say, let us know how your win7 adventures go

Douglas said...

Paul, you did not notice that I spoke of a game on Sunday wherein it was only Saturday.

Michael, it is cool, I guess... whatever that means now, I suppose.

Gregory, I have sworn off physically tinkering with these things. For now.

Cheri, some us love to get aggravated and frustrated. I don't know why. I am sure it involves potty training or something.