The Random Comic Strip

The Random Comic Strip

Words to live by...

"How beautiful it is to do nothing, and to rest afterward."

[Spanish Proverb]

Ius luxuriae publice datum est

(The right to looseness has been officially given)

"Everyone carries a part of society on his shoulders," wrote Ludwig von Mises, "no one is relieved of his share of responsibility by others. And no one can find a safe way for himself if society is sweeping towards destruction. Therefore everyone, in his own interest, must thrust himself vigorously into the intellectual battle."

Apparently, the crossword puzzle that disappeared from the blog, came back.


Friday, November 13, 2009

A New Day Dawns


Photo by Sam Javanrough

Today appears to be better. Life has possibilities again.

Getting sick has always had mixed messages for me, conflicting thoughts and meanings. Some part of me likes being ill. Perhaps it reminds me of the attention my mother lavish on me when I was ill as a child. She was not inattentive at other times, of course, but was more so when I ran a fever. At the same time, I do not like being even a little helpless.

I do dream better when I am sick, especially if I run a high fever. The dreams are long, dark, convoluted and mysterious yet filled with lunacies. I wake without feeling much rest physically but mentally refreshed. Unless I take pen to paper (or fingers to keyboard) quickly after waking, the dreams and their possible meanings quickly dissolve back into my subconsciousness.

I know I dreamt last night and I know it was one of those dreams but I have no idea just what it was. Like shadows from someone, or some thing hiding behind a tree at the edge of a deep and dark forest, bits and pieces almost take shape but are just as quickly lost in the sunlight.

I am sure that dreams like these have some purpose in healing the body. At least I hope so. I'd hate to think they were glimpses into the malevolent beast which we wall up behind civilized behavior in order to live among others.

One has hope on such mornings.

4 comments:

Paul E. Giroux said...

Welcome back to the land of the living

The Jules said...

Just been catching up on the old blogosphere and saw you was sickening.

Glad you're feeling betterer, and hope you get even bettererer even quickerer.

Steven said...

It's been a while, but my fever dreams are really weird, and mostly involve quickly shifting back and forth between being ant-sized and hundreds of feet tall...but I can't ever figure out if it's me or my surroundings that change.

I would like to experience it again...

Michael said...

Switzerland needs to stop the quantum physics, ignore teleportation and particle acceleration, and focus on what would truly be a revolutionary invention - the dream recorder!

Michael.
Do you hate it too?
"If you're going through Hell, keep going."