The Random Comic Strip

The Random Comic Strip

Words to live by...

"How beautiful it is to do nothing, and to rest afterward."

[Spanish Proverb]

Ius luxuriae publice datum est

(The right to looseness has been officially given)

"Everyone carries a part of society on his shoulders," wrote Ludwig von Mises, "no one is relieved of his share of responsibility by others. And no one can find a safe way for himself if society is sweeping towards destruction. Therefore everyone, in his own interest, must thrust himself vigorously into the intellectual battle."

Apparently, the crossword puzzle that disappeared from the blog, came back.


Wednesday, June 4, 2014

In Defense Of Small Cars


Let me preface this by saying I like my little Focus, really.  It is getting excellent mileage in town (averaging 24.5 MPG driving within a 10 mile radius) which is the primary reason I bought it; for the economic advantages. I got tired of the 14 MPG I was getting with my Lucerne.

What I miss about the Lucerne is the remote start feature, the "set it and forget it" AC, the rain-sensor windshield wipers, and the ride. Part of the ride issue is that the Focus has small tires that are filled at (to me) a high pressure. I can probably find a way to lower pressure and improve the ride a little while maintaining the viability of the Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS). Or not. I can live with the stiff ride if I cannot. I can live without remote start (though I could probably add that via a third party system) but I will continue to miss the AC system and the rain-sensor windshield wipers.



The AC bugs me because it seems either too cold or too hot whereas, in the Lucerne, I simply set the temperature I wanted and left it alone. The remote start would usually cool off the interior by the time I crossed the parking lot. When starting up, the AC kicked in recirculation of air and ratcheted up the fan speed to maximum. That would not happen with the Focus; even with remote start, I would have to remember to set the AC to "max" and set the fan speed to "4" before leaving the car. I suspect I wouldn't do that most of the time.

I can tolerate the ride because most of the cars I have owned as an adult have been small cars.

When I first met Faye she owned a Chevy Caprice Classic while I owned a Honda Civic. One of the small ones built in the late 70's. Her Chevy dwarfed my little car and I was uncomfortable driving it. It wasn't nimble and it handled like a large barge. But it was roomy and comfortable.

I am torn again, however, between nimble and uncomfortable and comfort and convenience.

We are never happy, are we?


No comments: