The Random Comic Strip

The Random Comic Strip

Words to live by...

"How beautiful it is to do nothing, and to rest afterward."

[Spanish Proverb]

Ius luxuriae publice datum est

(The right to looseness has been officially given)

"Everyone carries a part of society on his shoulders," wrote Ludwig von Mises, "no one is relieved of his share of responsibility by others. And no one can find a safe way for himself if society is sweeping towards destruction. Therefore everyone, in his own interest, must thrust himself vigorously into the intellectual battle."

Apparently, the crossword puzzle that disappeared from the blog, came back.


Friday, May 20, 2011

So many channels, so little entertainment


At this point there is an uneasy truce in the battle for entertainment. The combatants have left the battlefield. Well, one of them has. His service, we thought, was completed. Now came the aftermath. The post-battle analysis, the weighing of the costs vs the achievements.

And the worst of all; learning the new channels, reprogramming the recordings for the DVR, and trying to figure out what should be there but isn't.

And what isn't there that should be? Why, just all the movie channels I subscribed to. No HBO, Showtime, Cinemax, Movie Channel, or Starz. So I called. And then I waited. And waited. And waited. I could a semi-articulate gentleman who agreed with me that I should have those channels. He counseled patience, that it could take a little time for them to be authorized, that there was trouble with the "system" earlier and that could have caused the problem. So I said I would call back in a few hours if they didn't show up.

I have just called back. And waited. And waited. Eventually, sometime before I had to take the phone into the bathroom, a "Customer Service Representative" came on the line. I didn't get this one's name due to his successful rapid mumbling of it. I explained my "issue" and mentioned that I no longer cared why I could not get the premium channels I had subscribed to, I just wanted them turned on.

Two minutes later, they were all working. Seems no one had authorized them. Duh!

I feel a tad victorious.

You do not want to see my victory dance. It ain't pretty.


No comments: