The Random Comic Strip

The Random Comic Strip

Words to live by...

"How beautiful it is to do nothing, and to rest afterward."

[Spanish Proverb]

Ius luxuriae publice datum est

(The right to looseness has been officially given)

"Everyone carries a part of society on his shoulders," wrote Ludwig von Mises, "no one is relieved of his share of responsibility by others. And no one can find a safe way for himself if society is sweeping towards destruction. Therefore everyone, in his own interest, must thrust himself vigorously into the intellectual battle."

Apparently, the crossword puzzle that disappeared from the blog, came back.


Wednesday, January 23, 2013

And how does that make you feel?


 I suffer from excessive introspection. I blame my parents, of course, as anyone who has read Freud (or thinks he/she has) will, and should, do.

For most of my life, I have wondered why I do things. At first, I wondered why I did "wrong" things but that progressed to questioning my motives for doing just about anything. This can lead to total immobility in some... perhaps many... but has not, so far, prevented me from continuing to do "wrong" things or even "right" things. I still make a fool of myself at times and I still strive to improve. Unfortunately, I mostly am successful at making a fool of myself.

This tendency to engage in introspection triggered an interest in psychology and that led to an interest in why others do/did the things they do/did. In turn, this led to a curiosity about some historical figures and some historical periods.

Why only some? I have no idea... even after much soul-searching.

2 comments:

Joanne Noragon said...

It's probably too late to change, but that's a lot of reading when you could be out in the sunshine.

Douglas said...

I'm trying to avoid skin cancer. I spent a lot of time in the sun but I always found time to read and think.