The Random Comic Strip

The Random Comic Strip

Words to live by...

"How beautiful it is to do nothing, and to rest afterward."

[Spanish Proverb]

Ius luxuriae publice datum est

(The right to looseness has been officially given)

"Everyone carries a part of society on his shoulders," wrote Ludwig von Mises, "no one is relieved of his share of responsibility by others. And no one can find a safe way for himself if society is sweeping towards destruction. Therefore everyone, in his own interest, must thrust himself vigorously into the intellectual battle."

By the way... there's a crossword at the bottom of this page

Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Ignoring my Better Judgement


I am the argumentative sort. Opinionated and arrogant, I seek out opposing viewpoints and challenge them. This takes me to some places I might not otherwise visit.  One of these is the New Yorker magazine online.

I made a mistake. I should not have created an account there so I could comment. Why? because of the law of unintended consequences, of course. I thought that the New Yorker would be a rational site, one that does not exploit its readers' data. I was woefully wrong, of course.

A couple of days after establishing my account, I began receiving spam using the email address I gave them in registering my New Yorker account. And, since then, I receive at least one piece of spam a day to that email address.

I use that email account at few, very few, places on the web. Any of them could have sold this info to the various spammers out there, I am sure. Yet, not one piece of spam showed up for that account in the 18 months I have had it and began using it... until a few days after signing up with the New Yorker in mid-November of 2012 .  My math skills, though not what they were before the advent of pocket calculators
,  are still good enough to add 2 and 2 and get the correct sum.


It is interesting to note that I use the very same email address at what I assume is a sister publication... the New York Times... and have done so for most of that 18 months I have had the email account.

The damage, of course, is already done. Cancelling the New Yorker account will have no effect on the spam.

1 comment:

Tom Sightings said...

See, Douglas, you should stick to reading and commenting at your fellow blog sites ... nobody sells your name or sends you spam!