The Random Comic Strip

The Random Comic Strip

Words to live by...

"How beautiful it is to do nothing, and to rest afterward."

[Spanish Proverb]

Ius luxuriae publice datum est

(The right to looseness has been officially given)

"Everyone carries a part of society on his shoulders," wrote Ludwig von Mises, "no one is relieved of his share of responsibility by others. And no one can find a safe way for himself if society is sweeping towards destruction. Therefore everyone, in his own interest, must thrust himself vigorously into the intellectual battle."

Apparently, the crossword puzzle that disappeared from the blog, came back.


Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Ignoring my Better Judgement


I am the argumentative sort. Opinionated and arrogant, I seek out opposing viewpoints and challenge them. This takes me to some places I might not otherwise visit.  One of these is the New Yorker magazine online.

I made a mistake. I should not have created an account there so I could comment. Why? because of the law of unintended consequences, of course. I thought that the New Yorker would be a rational site, one that does not exploit its readers' data. I was woefully wrong, of course.

A couple of days after establishing my account, I began receiving spam using the email address I gave them in registering my New Yorker account. And, since then, I receive at least one piece of spam a day to that email address.

I use that email account at few, very few, places on the web. Any of them could have sold this info to the various spammers out there, I am sure. Yet, not one piece of spam showed up for that account in the 18 months I have had it and began using it... until a few days after signing up with the New Yorker in mid-November of 2012 .  My math skills, though not what they were before the advent of pocket calculators
,  are still good enough to add 2 and 2 and get the correct sum.


It is interesting to note that I use the very same email address at what I assume is a sister publication... the New York Times... and have done so for most of that 18 months I have had the email account.

The damage, of course, is already done. Cancelling the New Yorker account will have no effect on the spam.

1 comment:

Tom said...

See, Douglas, you should stick to reading and commenting at your fellow blog sites ... nobody sells your name or sends you spam!