The Random Comic Strip

The Random Comic Strip

Words to live by...

"How beautiful it is to do nothing, and to rest afterward."

[Spanish Proverb]

Ius luxuriae publice datum est

(The right to looseness has been officially given)

"Everyone carries a part of society on his shoulders," wrote Ludwig von Mises, "no one is relieved of his share of responsibility by others. And no one can find a safe way for himself if society is sweeping towards destruction. Therefore everyone, in his own interest, must thrust himself vigorously into the intellectual battle."

Apparently, the crossword puzzle that disappeared from the blog, came back.


Friday, September 30, 2011

I have no idea where that went


Sometimes I make mistakes. I know, I know... it shocks me too. But I have to be honest here. Recently, I made a purchase; a new driver for my collection of golf clubs. I believe that is my 7th driver of the current crop (since 2001). It might be my 8th, not so sure.

I bought it because I have come to really love a 3 wood I picked up of the same brand and model a couple of months ago. I have come to realize that this was a poor reason to purchase a new club... especially one so important as a driver. For those of you who have no idea what I am talking about, a driver is supposed to be the primary choice for tee shots for anything other than a par 3 hole... for those of you who do know what I am talking about, it's the one you cuss at most.

Anyway, it is not performing to expectations. It has taken on the attribute of many of my other clubs.... sending the ball in directions unintended (and, often, not very far). This takes much of the joy out of The Game. If the club was a car, I would not trust it on the roadway. It is, much like the remote for my cable box. I aim it in the direction of my TV and the cable box-DVR thing, press a button, and one of them reacts but usually not the one I wanted.

This can be frustrating. And frustration leads to confusion and lack of confidence and that leads to bad scores.

So, the new driver is being set aside to gather dust with its brothers and sisters in the garage and the old driver is back in the bag... for now.

I am not happy about this.

No comments: