The Random Comic Strip

The Random Comic Strip

Words to live by...

"How beautiful it is to do nothing, and to rest afterward."

[Spanish Proverb]

Ius luxuriae publice datum est

(The right to looseness has been officially given)

"Everyone carries a part of society on his shoulders," wrote Ludwig von Mises, "no one is relieved of his share of responsibility by others. And no one can find a safe way for himself if society is sweeping towards destruction. Therefore everyone, in his own interest, must thrust himself vigorously into the intellectual battle."

Apparently, the crossword puzzle that disappeared from the blog, came back.


Thursday, November 13, 2008

Happy Birthday (A day late)

A number of years ago, about 29, I was going through some personal struggles. My marriage was unraveling, I was facing decisions I had known were coming and had put off repeatedly. I was a mess. My home life was chaotic, I was disliked at work by many of my co-workers, and I just wasn't a pleasant person to be around. To be honest, I wouldn't have liked being around me either. Of course, I couldn't avoid me and that probably made things worse.

I worked the "graveyard shift" at the phone company (Pacific Telephone) in San Diego. Instead of leaving home about 11:30 PM, I would leave at 11:00. The trip took just 15 minutes but the sooner I left, the better. When I arrived, I was irritable and belligerent. I would argue with the evening shift over procedures and upcoming problems. I created a rift between myself and one of my oldest friends at work. I would be surly with my shiftmate when he came in. I put down his efforts and I sulked a lot. I drank way too much coffee. On top of everything else, Ma Bell (AT&T) was buying the office I worked in, we were being given the choice of staying with the office or finding another place in Pacific Telephone, and I wasn't sure which way I wanted to go.

That year was probably one of the worst of my life. My wife and I separated in the Spring. I hit bottom emotionally but thought it could only get worse. I was wrong but it would be some time before I realized my life was changing for the better. Just before the separation, I went to a co-worker's party. Mike was holding one of his "29th birthday anniversary" parties. Mike was a good guy who had his own demons he was trying to drown and we got along probably because of that. Unlike me, Mike was not taking his misery out on those around him. Instead, he was a happy, outgoing, friendly guy who was liked by everyone who knew him. He listened to me and understood what I was going through, he empathized. At his party, he was standing next to a young lady and called me over. He introduced us and quietly slipped away. She worked in our building but not with our group. I had seen her a few times but didn't recognize her dressed up and not in her usual jeans and T-shirt.

We chatted for awhile but eventually we went our separate ways, mingling with others at the party. My separation hadn't yet happened and I wasn't thinking about any possible relationships. I got roaring drunk but somehow managed to find my way home that night. When I got home, my wife was awake and waiting for me. Surprisingly, we didn't fight. It was at that point that I knew the marriage was over, that there was no saving it.

Over the next year and a half, I went through a number of changes. I dated some, fought with my estranged wife, moved across country and returned, and I began a long term relationship that has lasted to today. And that is why today is special. Today is my wife's birthday. She is the love of my life, the one who took me as I was, somehow felt I was worth knowing, and put up with me for several years while I sorted out my life. I tell people she saved my life and she did. She saved me from drowning in my own misery. She became my best friend when I had very few and none I thought I could count on. For all she is, for all she has done and all she has sacrificed, I am eternally grateful. I would be lost without her.

Happy Birthday, Faye. May we share many, many more.

6 comments:

Michael Horvath said...

Happy B-Day Faye and congrats to you both for a long lasting and loving relationship.

Michael said...

That was a truly heartfelt story. Happy birthday to Faye, hope she has a year full of good times with family and friends, good health and good food.

I feel my best friend has saved my life too, literally. Let's just say I was on the verge of pushing myself over the edge when all seemed to be going wrong and he saved me.

I hope he sticks by me forever, but we cannot promise anything, of course. We really do need someone like that for us to survive in this world.

Life is so dim without them.

And as you said, we would be so lost without them.

Michael.

M. Bail said...

That was so incredibly sweet! It made me realize how lucky I am to have the love of my life, and how much I appreciate him. Congrats for finding yours, and happy birthday Faye!

Everyday Housewife said...

Birthday Greetings to Faye! And may you have many many more happy years together!

Michael said...

That was a truly heartfelt story. Happy birthday to Faye, hope she has a year full of good times with family and friends, good health and good food.

I feel my best friend has saved my life too, literally. Let's just say I was on the verge of pushing myself over the edge when all seemed to be going wrong and he saved me.

I hope he sticks by me forever, but we cannot promise anything, of course. We really do need someone like that for us to survive in this world.

Life is so dim without them.

And as you said, we would be so lost without them.

Michael.

MilesPerHour said...

Happy B-Day Faye and congrats to you both for a long lasting and loving relationship.