The Random Comic Strip

The Random Comic Strip

Words to live by...

"How beautiful it is to do nothing, and to rest afterward."

[Spanish Proverb]

Ius luxuriae publice datum est

(The right to looseness has been officially given)

"Everyone carries a part of society on his shoulders," wrote Ludwig von Mises, "no one is relieved of his share of responsibility by others. And no one can find a safe way for himself if society is sweeping towards destruction. Therefore everyone, in his own interest, must thrust himself vigorously into the intellectual battle."

Apparently, the crossword puzzle that disappeared from the blog, came back.


Tuesday, November 18, 2008

My Desktop


My computer desktop has many things on it. So does my actual desktop but that's another, much messier, story. The wallpaper is a picture of the 6th fairway of the Palm Beach Gardens Golf Course in Palm Beach County. I took the picture one morning while Tom and I were playing one of our usual rounds of golf. Tom was 81 at the time and could hit the ball like a much younger man. He also chipped and putted much better than I. We played "skins", a quarter a hole with carry-overs. He beat me as often as I beat him. We started early in the morning, just after sunrise. I use that as wallpaper because it reminds me of Tom. And that course, and that morning. Looking at that picture, I can still smell the wild flowers, feel the damp early morning summer warmth, see all the colors of nature, feel the pain of my ball drifting left into the water. But I digress.

There are a number of icons, shortcuts, for games, websites, useful programs, and folders. They are not arranged in any particular order, mostly just for convenience or because that's where they popped up when I (or the installation of a program) created them.

I have recently begun to play with icon images. So, now I have a few icons that are more representative of where they take me or what they open. At least, to my mind. I picked up an Icon Editor, which allows me to manipulate existing icons, create new icons from images, or build an icon from scratch. This a lot of fun to do. I don't always like the icons that come with the programs I install and this is a great way to deal with that. Also, Firefox is incredibly unimaginative when it comes to icons for websites. Unless the website has its own icon, Firefox uses its own. It's a nice icon but I hate seeing it all over the place. So I am in the process of changing them to fit my mind's eye of what they should be.

11 comments:

Steven said...

snood? color me shocked

Douglas said...

Yes, shocked and guilty, I'd say. Who introduced me to that little bit of addiction?

Neo said...

I have no icons on the desktop, just the picture for the wall paper, commonly used program icons go to the quick launch and file icons go to my documents (renamed to work area) I even have the recycle bin in the quick launch and right click the desktop choose 'arrange icons' and take the check out of 'show desktop icons' is a much cleaner look

Anonymous said...

Mine's messier than yours douglas... LOL, but I have a close up of an autamn leaf for my background...

AV
http://netherregionoftheearthii.blogspot.com/
http://tomusarcanum.blogspot.com/

Douglas said...

There's a Garfield cartoon where he sits behind a messy desk (one not much different than my own) and the caption is "A clean desk is a sign of a sick mind." (One would think my desk would be pristine in that case)
Upon my physical desktop lies a myriad of flotsam and jetsam I have accumulated in the past year or so. My computer desktop is just an extension of that.

Michael said...

I seriously have OCD or some similar disorder because I just have to have my desktop (on my laptop) really organized. I'm talkin': icons in equal numbers of suitable rows and columns and the wallpaper needs to have two lines of symmetry.

It's been that way for years.

And what sort of flotsam and jetsam are you actually allowed to keep on your desk?

Michael.

Douglas said...

paper, lots of paper. pencil sharpener (small, hand-held), pens, lots of pens and pencils, the router, the DSL, the scanner (which is of no use at this juncture), external HD, more paper, napkins (paper towels, really), thumb drive, more paper, CDs (blank and burned), some old memory strips, utility CDs, speakers, a Hoi Toi Buddha, a wooden "finger", a ceramic incense/candle holder saped like an owl, cables (attached and unattached)... Oh you meant the screen desktop.

Just stuff. You can click on it and blow it up. Well, not literally.

Michael said...

Oh, no, no. I did intend to discover what you have on your physical (not digital) desk. That's a lot of stuff.

My desk is awfully tidy. There are papers, files, books and miscellaneous stationary on my desk. The life of a student...

Michael.

Michael said...

I seriously have OCD or some similar disorder because I just have to have my desktop (on my laptop) really organized. I'm talkin': icons in equal numbers of suitable rows and columns and the wallpaper needs to have two lines of symmetry.

It's been that way for years.

And what sort of flotsam and jetsam are you actually allowed to keep on your desk?

Michael.

Michael said...

Oh, no, no. I did intend to discover what you have on your physical (not digital) desk. That's a lot of stuff.

My desk is awfully tidy. There are papers, files, books and miscellaneous stationary on my desk. The life of a student...

Michael.

Douglas said...

There's a Garfield cartoon where he sits behind a messy desk (one not much different than my own) and the caption is "A clean desk is a sign of a sick mind." (One would think my desk would be pristine in that case)
Upon my physical desktop lies a myriad of flotsam and jetsam I have accumulated in the past year or so. My computer desktop is just an extension of that.