The Random Comic Strip

The Random Comic Strip

Words to live by...

"How beautiful it is to do nothing, and to rest afterward."

[Spanish Proverb]

Ius luxuriae publice datum est

(The right to looseness has been officially given)

"Everyone carries a part of society on his shoulders," wrote Ludwig von Mises, "no one is relieved of his share of responsibility by others. And no one can find a safe way for himself if society is sweeping towards destruction. Therefore everyone, in his own interest, must thrust himself vigorously into the intellectual battle."

Apparently, the crossword puzzle that disappeared from the blog, came back.


Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Veteran's Day


Just a few short words now (maybe more later).

First - A salute to all our veterans. Whether you served in popular wars, unpopular wars, or in peacetime, you have my gratitude and thanks for your service. My time was 1965-1969 in the US Navy. But it does not matter to me if you were Navy, Marine, Army, Air Force, or Coast Guard, Active or Reserve, you are all my brothers and sisters.

Second - I had to remove the Dilbert Widget because it seemed to be causing my Firefox to crash. If I can get a fix for that, it'll be back up (though that sidebar is getting crowded).

Third - I don't have a green thumb but I am proud of my little Key Lime tree. It sits on my back porch and seems to be thriving. Everything I read says it should be 5 years before it produces but I have had it for about 6 months and this is the second attempt it has made to produce. The first attempt failed and they all fell off before they reached the size of a dime.

Looky looky...



Finally, Michael has a new Blog called "If you're going through Hell, keep going." Stop by and give it a look

10 comments:

Michael said...

First - I wore a poppy today. A young girl and her mother sold it to me on the street. I was a poppy-seller twice as well. It's quite fun.

Second - The Dilbert Widget crashed the Firefox at school too. Not sure why that is.

Third - I would be proud of that Key Lime tree. It looks really good. Looks like there's a good amount of sunlight too. Very nice.

Finally - Gratitude towards you for helping to advertise my blog, although, I'm even more thankful for the fact that you used First, Second and Third instead of Firstly, Secondly and Thirdly. I made the mistake of bringing it up in class, and the teacher, whom I had mistaken to be fairly pedantic about these sorts of things, said that both the original word and the original word with an '-ly' are both correct.

Guess what all my classmates think now? Argh. '-ly' is wrong! Wrong, I tell you!

Douglas said...

Well, firstly, I would never do that :)

You were posting your comment as I was editing my post to insert an "Uncle Sam" graphic.

Thanks for buying and for selling those Poppies. I am sure, being the clever and inquisitive fellow you are, that you looked into the history of those poppies and why they are sold on Veteran's Day? If you haven't, you should.

Sal said...

Beautiful lime tree, well done!

Unknown said...

How lucky are you to have a thriving citrus tree. Hm ... maybe there are fresh margaritas in your future. :)

Take Care!

Small Footprints
http://reducefootprints.blogspot.com

Inspector Clouseau said...

Nothing like key lime pie in Florida. Along with conch fritters, and Cuban sandwiches. Ummph...

Everyday Housewife said...

Nice lime tree you have got there. The lime tree in my yard has yet to flourish despite all the tlc i put into it for the past 4 years.

Anonymous said...

Surprised too, that your lime is fruiting while in a pot... Well done.

AV
http://netherregionoftheearthii.blogspot.com/
http://tomusarcanum.blogspot.com/

Douglas said...

"Lucky" is the key word because I did nothing more than buy the little guy at Wal-Mart in a smaller pot, transplant it to a bigger planter, and then water it from time to time.
"Surprised" is also suitable.

And, not quite last, I love Key Lime pie and Cuban sandwiches (good/authentic ones are so hard to find in my neck of the state)

Logistician, add Gator Tail to that list.

Small Footprints said...

How lucky are you to have a thriving citrus tree. Hm ... maybe there are fresh margaritas in your future. :)

Take Care!

Small Footprints
http://reducefootprints.blogspot.com

Michael said...

First - I wore a poppy today. A young girl and her mother sold it to me on the street. I was a poppy-seller twice as well. It's quite fun.

Second - The Dilbert Widget crashed the Firefox at school too. Not sure why that is.

Third - I would be proud of that Key Lime tree. It looks really good. Looks like there's a good amount of sunlight too. Very nice.

Finally - Gratitude towards you for helping to advertise my blog, although, I'm even more thankful for the fact that you used First, Second and Third instead of Firstly, Secondly and Thirdly. I made the mistake of bringing it up in class, and the teacher, whom I had mistaken to be fairly pedantic about these sorts of things, said that both the original word and the original word with an '-ly' are both correct.

Guess what all my classmates think now? Argh. '-ly' is wrong! Wrong, I tell you!