The Random Comic Strip

The Random Comic Strip

Words to live by...

"How beautiful it is to do nothing, and to rest afterward."

[Spanish Proverb]

Ius luxuriae publice datum est

(The right to looseness has been officially given)

"Everyone carries a part of society on his shoulders," wrote Ludwig von Mises, "no one is relieved of his share of responsibility by others. And no one can find a safe way for himself if society is sweeping towards destruction. Therefore everyone, in his own interest, must thrust himself vigorously into the intellectual battle."

Apparently, the crossword puzzle that disappeared from the blog, came back.


Saturday, November 22, 2008

Plug in that Magazine

I have, on occasion, subscribed to a number of magazines. Most have been because I was new to a hobby or cultivating a new interest. The most prominent of these were golf and photography magazines. More often, I would browse the magazines on the newsstand and purchase one that had an article of interest to me.

I was reading a photography magazine one time while visiting my parents back in the 70s. I was getting into photography and wanted to learn about techniques, lighting, framing subjects, and the "nuts and bolts" of the discipline. I tried to engage my father in a discussion about photography because I knew he had once had a strong interest in it, though he hadn't done much in many years. He said a strange thing to me. He told me magazines weren't of much use, that they were mostly big advertisements for products. Of course, like many of the things he told me, it took some time to sink in. But he was right.

Since then, I cannot look at a magazine in any way other than as some kind of advertising scheme. Well, except for news magazines and I have begun to wonder about them too.

10 comments:

Michael said...

Oh, what about gossip magazines?

I can really get into one if I come across one, and there are very few product ads in those.

I think there are very few magazines nowadays that actually serve to entertain readers though. I think of its original purpose as being something similar to the purpose of blogging. To share, to read, to learn. But there's hardly a decent one of those magazines anymore.

Michael.

Everyday Housewife said...

I stopped buying magazines when I found more advertisements than articles in the mags that I usually read.

Douglas said...

I am afraid neither of you quite understood the thesis. The magazines themselves, the articles, the pictures, everything, are advertisements. Even gossip mags; they sell entertainers, celebrities, and the movies and concerts they are in and the clothes they wear, the cars they drive, the "toys" they play with, and so on.

Anonymous said...

Magazines are only useful when your child is doing a school project...

AV
http://netherregionoftheearthii.blogspot.com/
http://tomusarcanum.blogspot.com/

Douglas said...

Yes, Argentum, much more current than an encyclopedia.

The Jules said...

It's not just magazines in this consumerist world we live in. Even T-shirts bear logos and it has somehow become desirable to pay to advertise a make. very odd.

Douglas said...

Jules, I blame Izod. And you've touched on a pet peeve of mine: When did we start paying someone to advertise their product for them????

The Logisitician said...

My favorite magazine of all time? Smithsonian. I particularly like the print version since the layout and artwork are exceptional. However, you can gain a sense of the type of articles included by visiting: http://www.smithsonianmag.com/

Douglas said...

Yes, Argentum, much more current than an encyclopedia.

The Jules said...

It's not just magazines in this consumerist world we live in. Even T-shirts bear logos and it has somehow become desirable to pay to advertise a make. very odd.