The Random Comic Strip

The Random Comic Strip

Words to live by...

"How beautiful it is to do nothing, and to rest afterward."

[Spanish Proverb]

Ius luxuriae publice datum est

(The right to looseness has been officially given)

"Everyone carries a part of society on his shoulders," wrote Ludwig von Mises, "no one is relieved of his share of responsibility by others. And no one can find a safe way for himself if society is sweeping towards destruction. Therefore everyone, in his own interest, must thrust himself vigorously into the intellectual battle."

Apparently, the crossword puzzle that disappeared from the blog, came back.


Thursday, January 12, 2012

Laughter amid the nuclear holocaust



I'm sorry, I was sidetracked by unimportant non-essential trivial distractions and gave no thought whatsoever to today's blog post.

That is, I spent the evening watching a DVR'd copy of Dr. Strangelove (or how I stopped worrying and learned to love the bomb). An amazingly funny movie about the end of civilization as we know it. For those of you who are unfamiliar with the movie (I expect that would be 3 or 4 people at most), it is a farce. Though the cast is full of first rate stars, it is really a showcase of Peter Seller's comedic talent.

Some of it takes me back to my Navy days. It had the checklist mentality down perfectly. It also reflected the fear of nuclear war with the (now former) Soviet Union that was prevalent at the time. For those of you too young to remember those days, it might seem silly but I can assure you it was seen as a very real possibility.

But the movie was spoof and hilarious. A kind of morbid humor at the time, it can now be viewed in a different light. Well, at least by me. Except when I think about Iran...

No comments: