The Random Comic Strip

The Random Comic Strip

Words to live by...

"How beautiful it is to do nothing, and to rest afterward."

[Spanish Proverb]

Ius luxuriae publice datum est

(The right to looseness has been officially given)

"Everyone carries a part of society on his shoulders," wrote Ludwig von Mises, "no one is relieved of his share of responsibility by others. And no one can find a safe way for himself if society is sweeping towards destruction. Therefore everyone, in his own interest, must thrust himself vigorously into the intellectual battle."

Apparently, the crossword puzzle that disappeared from the blog, came back.


Friday, April 12, 2013

Leavin' Las Vegas... again


As I write this, we are winding up our stay in Vegas. Tonight, we will be visiting with some friends who retired to Vegas from San Diego quite a few years ago. Unlike me, he still hustles for extra cash. I suppose that, if I had retired to Sin City, I would also have to supplement my retirement income. And do not think that Faye did not lobby for a Vegas retirement.

It might have been a good place to retire in some ways but not for me. I don't like to gamble. And the cheap dining of the 70's no longer exists. Golf is expensive, even for residents (though it is much more expensive for visitors), so that would have created more incentive for a "working retirement" (which, to me, is an oxymoron). But there are many other benefits to this city that, perhaps, I don't know about but would enjoy.  And, in spite of what you might think, it gets rather cold here in Vegas... and often quite windy.

Let me be honest, I don't like big cities. I like small cities and towns. I spent the first 91/2 years of my life in a small town and the next 8 in a small city. They suit me. Traffic is lighter; life is less complicated and cheaper.

We all have different needs and wants. Some like having more entertainment and fine arts than are available in smaller cities and towns. But I am not one of them. I am a homebody and golf is the closest thing I have to a passion or obsession.

Different strokes... as the old saying from the 60's goes.


No comments: