The Random Comic Strip

The Random Comic Strip

Words to live by...

"How beautiful it is to do nothing, and to rest afterward."

[Spanish Proverb]

Ius luxuriae publice datum est

(The right to looseness has been officially given)

"Everyone carries a part of society on his shoulders," wrote Ludwig von Mises, "no one is relieved of his share of responsibility by others. And no one can find a safe way for himself if society is sweeping towards destruction. Therefore everyone, in his own interest, must thrust himself vigorously into the intellectual battle."

Apparently, the crossword puzzle that disappeared from the blog, came back.


Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Trolling for Fun and Whatever...


I tend to stroll through comments on media sites and leave a number of my own. Some of the other commenters view me as a troll: dropping comments seemingly intended to cause a stir or rile others. Perhaps I am. Though that is not my intent. My intent is to instigate some critical thinking.

I also intend to get people to question something called "conventional wisdom." I usually fail at this. I suppose it's difficult to do for so many. Not for me, however, I have always done this. I guess you could say I never got over my "Why?" phase as a toddler.

One of the things that gets me labeled as a troll is that I have a low tolerance for robotic thought. And I get bored easily. So I leave a comment, defend it for a few exchanges, and then just move on.

I found a phrase in an Ambrose Bierce story that I have already used in ending a "conversation." It goes like this:

Against stupidity, even the Gods themselves are helpless.

The actual quote should be:

Against stupidity the very gods themselves contend in vain.

And it is attributed to a German named Friedrich Schiller, a German poet, historian, dramatist, and playwright. His full name is Johann Christoph Friedrich von Schiller. Which, I suppose, means he is used to some latitude in quoting his words.

Bierce called him an "ancient Roman" in the story, which couldn't be farther from the truth so I don't feel bad about paraphrasing the quote.

I am fascinated by comments on stories on the media sites. They tell me something (most like a distortion) of the general public feeling about various issues. I am sometimes appalled by what I read. Sometimes I am pleased, and all too often I am bored.


No comments: