The Random Comic Strip

The Random Comic Strip

Words to live by...

"How beautiful it is to do nothing, and to rest afterward."

[Spanish Proverb]

Ius luxuriae publice datum est

(The right to looseness has been officially given)

"Everyone carries a part of society on his shoulders," wrote Ludwig von Mises, "no one is relieved of his share of responsibility by others. And no one can find a safe way for himself if society is sweeping towards destruction. Therefore everyone, in his own interest, must thrust himself vigorously into the intellectual battle."

Apparently, the crossword puzzle that disappeared from the blog, came back.


Monday, October 8, 2012

If you have to explain a joke, don't bother



 My humor, I admit, is about as clear as a good London fog. But it reflects the murkiness in my mind. Most people do not understand it. I can't blame them for that. As the purveyor of such drivel, I must take responsibility for any lack of perception on the part of my audience. Like the salesman at a used car lot, I must get my "customers" to buy it.


 

I wrote a piece about being invisible once. It wasn't especially humorous except as I was writing it. Re-reading it today, I realized how poorly it was written. Even found a typo. It didn't adequately describe what it is like to feel invisible in everyday life. I am sure a few people "got" it but most, I think, hardly noticed the underlying joke of a blogger struggling for recognition.

In actuality, I am not struggling for recognition, I am just trying to stay afloat. Which should explain all my thrashing about.


No comments: