The Random Comic Strip

The Random Comic Strip

Words to live by...

"How beautiful it is to do nothing, and to rest afterward."

[Spanish Proverb]

Ius luxuriae publice datum est

(The right to looseness has been officially given)

"Everyone carries a part of society on his shoulders," wrote Ludwig von Mises, "no one is relieved of his share of responsibility by others. And no one can find a safe way for himself if society is sweeping towards destruction. Therefore everyone, in his own interest, must thrust himself vigorously into the intellectual battle."

Apparently, the crossword puzzle that disappeared from the blog, came back.


Tuesday, October 2, 2012

There's nothing to eat!



The title is the lament I made daily (more often, actually) each time I would open the refrigerator door when I was a teenager.

I came home from golf today and was hungry. So hungry that after I ate the leftovers we took home from the steakhouse we patronize every Sunday, I then nuked a couple of hot dogs and munched down a dozen pretzels.

I hope spending 4 hours in the heat and humidity counteracts whatever excess calories those snacks gave me.

I miss those heady days of my youth when I could devour 18" hoagies and be hungry enough in a couple of hours to eat a Whopper and a chocolate shake. And without gaining a pound.

When I enlisted in the Navy, my official weight was 133 lbs on a 5'11" frame. It has taken me a lot of years to get to 170 lbs.

I may have to skip lunch tomorrow, though, so I can keep it under 170.


No comments: