The Random Comic Strip

The Random Comic Strip

Words to live by...

"How beautiful it is to do nothing, and to rest afterward."

[Spanish Proverb]

Ius luxuriae publice datum est

(The right to looseness has been officially given)

"Everyone carries a part of society on his shoulders," wrote Ludwig von Mises, "no one is relieved of his share of responsibility by others. And no one can find a safe way for himself if society is sweeping towards destruction. Therefore everyone, in his own interest, must thrust himself vigorously into the intellectual battle."

Apparently, the crossword puzzle that disappeared from the blog, came back.


Monday, October 1, 2012

How do you say that in proper English?


Each evening, I slip into bed and pick up a book (or bring one up on my tablet) ad read until I am sleepy. Sometimes this takes only a few minutes and, other times, it takes a half hour or more. This mostly depends on how tired I am when I get into bed but, now and then, it can also depend on what I am reading.

I have found something which might induce sleep quickly. This article may be better than any other sleep aid I have come across to date.

I admit I am a bit pedantic when it comes to grammar and spelling. I do not see myself as obsessive, however. I feel special irritation when I read (or hear) " try and", for example. I strongly believe that it should be "try to" and never "try and" but that has become accepted. I read the phrase in novels and hear it in movies and TV shows among other venues. I gnash my teeth in semi-conscious psychic pain each time but I know I cannot do anything about it. Being powerless possibly adds to my frustration. I have written about this before.

I am not so pedantic, however, to correct all my own quirks of speech. In fact, I do not even try.


No comments: