The Random Comic Strip

The Random Comic Strip

Words to live by...

"How beautiful it is to do nothing, and to rest afterward."

[Spanish Proverb]

Ius luxuriae publice datum est

(The right to looseness has been officially given)

"Everyone carries a part of society on his shoulders," wrote Ludwig von Mises, "no one is relieved of his share of responsibility by others. And no one can find a safe way for himself if society is sweeping towards destruction. Therefore everyone, in his own interest, must thrust himself vigorously into the intellectual battle."

Apparently, the crossword puzzle that disappeared from the blog, came back.


Thursday, October 4, 2012

The Golden Years


I didn't write anything for yesterday. Don't worry, it's all part of my masterfully devised plan. Or I forgot... I am not sure which.

I am puzzled like that on a regular basis. I just do not understand the world around me. It's not my fault, the world tries very hard to remain mysterious and is successful at it. At least, as far as I can see.

The world was much simpler when I was a small child. It wasn't much bigger than my little town, the sky at night was a black sheet with little holes all over it, cities were kept far away, and a quarter in my pocket made me feel rich. Occasionally, I found a dollar and then I really felt rich.

The toughest decisions I had to make were what kind of candy to buy.



I miss those days.

Everything was provided. No rent to pay, no mortgage to worry about, no car to put gas in, and  (best of all) no job to go to each day. I am mostly living that same dream today, you'd think. After all, I have no job to go to and no mortgage or rent to worry about. But I still have a car and it needs just as much gas as it did 4 years ago... it just costs twice as much to buy it.

These are my golden years, they say... they just didn't tell me it means I won't have enough gold.


No comments: