The Random Comic Strip

The Random Comic Strip

Words to live by...

"How beautiful it is to do nothing, and to rest afterward."

[Spanish Proverb]

Ius luxuriae publice datum est

(The right to looseness has been officially given)

"Everyone carries a part of society on his shoulders," wrote Ludwig von Mises, "no one is relieved of his share of responsibility by others. And no one can find a safe way for himself if society is sweeping towards destruction. Therefore everyone, in his own interest, must thrust himself vigorously into the intellectual battle."

Apparently, the crossword puzzle that disappeared from the blog, came back.


Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Reading Recommendations

I was going to tell you about two books; one I just finished and one I am almost finished with reading. But you probably don't want to read book reviews. Even though these books are very good and you would probably enjoy them immensely. I'll just provide a short synopsis of each...

The first is called Picking Cotton. It is the story of two people linked by a crime, an injustice, and finally redemption and reconciliation. The story is revealed in stages, by each of the two. It is really two stories about the same events. It is well worth the read.

The second is called Odd Hours. It is the fourth in the Odd Thomas series by Dean Koontz. While you can read any of the series on its own, you will find yourself eventually reading all of them. Mr. Koontz is best known for his horror stories and tales of strange and otherworldly happenings. But his talent for the descriptive phrase and subtle (and not so subtle) humor is what makes the Odd Thomas books so enjoyable.

Books are something I have always loved. At least since I was old enough to read them on my own. While I enjoyed being read to, I always thought I was missing something. The reader would emphasize something and downplay something else and I always wondered why. Also my imagination had to be restrained (something I have always found difficult doing) or else I would miss whole passages (if not entire chapters). I suppose this is why I cannot use the Audio Books.

When I learned to read well enough to tackle real books, I jumped in with both feet (and eyes, I suppose). When I was young, I could read more than one book at a time without problem. I could also remember what page I was on so I never dog-eared a page or used a bookmark. Now I can read just barely two and prefer not to. I also need bookmarks (I still do not dog-ear pages).

I envy Faye, she gets to read while I drive. This accomplishes two things. First, she gets through books faster and, second, she doesn't have to shut her eyes in panic while I weave through traffic and take unnecessary risks to get wherever it is we are going. She has learned to tune out my mumbled (and not so mumbled) curses for the dimwits with whom I all too often share the road.

Most of my reading now is done before I fall asleep. I also pick up a book when the satellite dish cannot get a signal because of heavy clouds (something which happens a lot at this time of year). I should just do away with TV altogether. But, alas, I am among the first of the TV generations and I was addicted early on.

Now, get away from your computer and go read a book!

[1160/1161/1030]

9 comments:

Inspector Clouseau said...

Thanks Douglas.

Interestingly, I never found a book that I did not like.

Best of all time for me, Don Quixote by Miquel de Cervantes. Whoa....

Douglas said...

Inspector - Since you brought Picking Cotton to my attention, I should be thanking you. Unfortunately, I have read books I did not like... Dickens bores me to tears, for instance. And some I have struggled through because the information was important or interesting but the writing was poor.

Inspector Clouseau said...

BTW, I occasionally post my article entitled, "When the Surfboard Hits the Wall" about Picking Cotton on Twitter, and it ALWAYS generates the most interest.

Michael said...

Hi, I'm finally back!

I love that you blogged about this, because today, I was just reading a book I had received for my birthday, and I got the realization that I have a lot of time this summer to read all the books I've been too occupied to read over the past two years. No more school is the greatest feeling.

I'm going to add your two titles mentioned here to my list.

I love to read. I love to read. I'm so 'good' at it. I was like you in your younger years. I'm reading three books at the same time, from different genres, and I'm on page 7, page 113 and page 43.

I've also picked up the guitar again. And I'm lifting weights, doing push-ups, sit-ups, jogging in the morning. It's shaping up to be a very individually rewarding summer for me. I hope it's been a nice month, May, for you, too.

Michael.

Douglas said...

Michael - Too much energy. Use it up.

Steven said...

I have so much going on that it takes me 2-4 weeks to finish a book these days. I just spent more time than was healthy reading in greece. the 12 hour plane ride on the way back was too short for my tastes...

Michael said...

Taiwan wants you to read the news in Chinese.

Michael said...

Hi, I'm finally back!

I love that you blogged about this, because today, I was just reading a book I had received for my birthday, and I got the realization that I have a lot of time this summer to read all the books I've been too occupied to read over the past two years. No more school is the greatest feeling.

I'm going to add your two titles mentioned here to my list.

I love to read. I love to read. I'm so 'good' at it. I was like you in your younger years. I'm reading three books at the same time, from different genres, and I'm on page 7, page 113 and page 43.

I've also picked up the guitar again. And I'm lifting weights, doing push-ups, sit-ups, jogging in the morning. It's shaping up to be a very individually rewarding summer for me. I hope it's been a nice month, May, for you, too.

Michael.

Steven said...

I have so much going on that it takes me 2-4 weeks to finish a book these days. I just spent more time than was healthy reading in greece. the 12 hour plane ride on the way back was too short for my tastes...