The Random Comic Strip

The Random Comic Strip

Words to live by...

"How beautiful it is to do nothing, and to rest afterward."

[Spanish Proverb]

Ius luxuriae publice datum est

(The right to looseness has been officially given)

"Everyone carries a part of society on his shoulders," wrote Ludwig von Mises, "no one is relieved of his share of responsibility by others. And no one can find a safe way for himself if society is sweeping towards destruction. Therefore everyone, in his own interest, must thrust himself vigorously into the intellectual battle."

Apparently, the crossword puzzle that disappeared from the blog, came back.


Thursday, May 28, 2009

Stardust

A number of years ago, Steve Allen had a TV show. On that show, he would make fun of rock and roll by reading the lyrics of a song as a poem. I can imagine how much he might have liked to do the same with Rap lyrics today. As much as I laughed then (and I liked rock and roll music), it made me think about how songs are simply poems put to music. Even our National Anthem, The Star Spangled Banner, is a poem that was later put to music.

I have two songs which I love. The first is timeless, a true "standard", written by Hoagy Carmichael (music) and Mitchell Parish (lyrics). Carmichael originally wrote the tune as a mid-tempo jazz instrumental piece in 1927. In 1930, it was turned into a sentimental ballad by Isham Jones. It is the words which I love, the way they flow together. The song is one of those rare instances where the music and lyrics, even though written a couple of years apart, combine into a masterpiece that does just as the lyrics say... become a song that will not die.

And now the purple dusk of twilight time
Steals across the meadows of my heart


Hearing these words immediately sets a quiet mood of contemplation in my mind.

High up in the sky the little stars climb
Always reminding me that we're apart


And fill me with the sadness a lonely lover feels.

You wander down the lane and far away
Leaving me a song that will not die
Love is now the stardust
Of yesterday
The music
Of the years
Gone by


So few of us have ever avoided a broken heart. And music is the special soother for that ache. A feeling of warm and somehow comforting melancholy permeates my soul each time I hear these words.

Sometimes I wonder why I spend
The lonely nights
Dreaming of a song.
The melody haunts my reverie
And I am once again with you.
When our love was new, and each kiss an inspiration.
But that was long ago, and now my consolation
Is in the stardust of a song.
Beside the garden wall, when stars are bright
You are in my arms
The nightingale tells his fairy tale
Of paradise where roses grew.
Though I dream in vain, in my heart you will remain
My stardust melody
The memory of loves refrain.


Because I have heard this song so many times, I cannot read the words without hearing the melody in my head. Even though I have not had a broken heart in so many years, this song remains my ultimate favorite. I am apparently not alone, Stardust was recorded over 1800 times in the 20th Century.


The second favorite of mine is one which pales in comparison. So I won't even reveal it at this time.


http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stardust_(song)


Lyrics reproduced without permission (so, sue me).

[1169/1170/1039]

5 comments:

Neo said...

My attorney will contact your attorney and maybe we can settle this out of court.

Inspector Clouseau said...

Two quickies:

Michael Savage recently generated a hip-hop rap song about the UK canceling his visa and others attacking. It's actually quite good.

When I was a kid growing up in the South during the 1950's, Hank Williams, Sr.'s song, "I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry."

http://www.lyricsfreak.com/h/hank+williams/im+so+lonesome+i+could+cry_20064142.html

Smithsonian Magazine had a great article in roughly 2002-2004 about Hank Williams, entitled "Honky Tonk Poet," which they have since removed from their archives. It told of his meteoric rise to fame, and very, very short career on top (somethong like 18 months) and short life. It's a powerful story. I later found out that he has 11 songs on the Country and Western Top 100 Songs of All Time.

Douglas said...

Inspector - Hank Williams was one of the greats, no doubt of it.

Neo - While they're at each other's throats, you and I can do lunch.

Douglas said...

Inspector - Hank Williams was one of the greats, no doubt of it.

Neo - While they're at each other's throats, you and I can do lunch.

Neo said...

My attorney will contact your attorney and maybe we can settle this out of court.