The Random Comic Strip

The Random Comic Strip

Words to live by...

"How beautiful it is to do nothing, and to rest afterward."

[Spanish Proverb]

Ius luxuriae publice datum est

(The right to looseness has been officially given)

"Everyone carries a part of society on his shoulders," wrote Ludwig von Mises, "no one is relieved of his share of responsibility by others. And no one can find a safe way for himself if society is sweeping towards destruction. Therefore everyone, in his own interest, must thrust himself vigorously into the intellectual battle."

Apparently, the crossword puzzle that disappeared from the blog, came back.


Saturday, May 16, 2009

Saturday

Saturday. I always liked Saturdays. I don't know why, really. When I was in school, Saturdays were important because they meant no school. But I really didn't mind going to school so it wasn't about that. Saturday was a day to do what chores I might have, which were few as I recall. And I ducked those most of the time. But I could sleep in so maybe that was it.

From the time I went into the Navy to a short period, maybe a year, before I retired Saturdays were often workdays. Even in high school, when I had a job, I often had to be there on Saturdays. Odd jobs, usher at a movie theater, bellhop, busboy; all meant Saturday was not a day off. In the Navy, I had weekend duty at least a quarter of the time in port and Saturday was a regular workday when out at sea. The 34 years with various telephone companies (all under the "Ma Bell" umbrella) meant at least one Saturday a month, sometimes two, was spent at work.

Saturdays at work were different than the regular work week, though. More laid back, quieter. Few demands. Well, not in those high school jobs of course, but the later ones. On the job you could catch up on some reading, attend to those things you put off during the week because of more pressing needs. Although there were rarely pressing needs on my job with the telco. In fact, there were rarely pressing needs on any job I ever had.

I sometimes look back and wonder if I was just lucky to fall into jobs where constant work wasn't a requirement. Or did I subconsciously plan it that way? I could never have dealt with a production line factory type job. I much preferred the jobs where there were spurts of high activity interspersed with longer (much longer) periods of light, or no, activity.

Now, of course, Saturday is just a day. Just like any other. No special meaning, no special purpose.


Saturn Devouring His Son, a disturbing portrait of the god Saturn consuming one of his children, was one of six works with which Goya decorated the dining room. According to Roman myth, it had been foretold that one of the sons of Saturn would overthrow him, just as he had overthrown his father, Caelus. To prevent this coming to pass, Saturn would eat each of his children as soon as they were born. His wife Ops eventually hid his sixth son, Jupiter, on the island of Crete, deceiving Saturn by offering a stone wrapped in swaddling in his place. Just as the prophecy had predicted, Jupiter eventually supplanted his father.

8 comments:

Inspector Clouseau said...

Interesting. I always disliked Saturdays, Sundays, and summer vacation. I always preferred to be around lots of people and observe them doing lots of things which I had not seen before. Mondays and September always got me going.

Same today to some extent. The more people around the better for me. Purported "peace and quiet" drive me nuts.

Cheri said...

Hi Douglas,
I read part of your travel blog last month but in the post I read, you were in Arizona. I would be interested in your observations of New Mexico.

And thank you for posting this Goya painting with accompanying Roman mythology. Mythology is one of my interests and I had never seen this portrait.

#167 Dad said...

Another thought provking posting...
Nosalgic.
I love Saturdays - even when I have to work a side job. When it's Saturday, there's always Sunday around the bend...

Pearl said...

Mythology AND Goya. What a great Saturday, Douglas!

Pearl

Douglas said...

Inspector - Thanks for a blog idea.

Cheri - I always liked New Mexico, I would probably like living there if I could stand the dryness.I like mythology also. Not enough to become any kind of authority but...

Dad - When we retire, the week is full of Saturdays.

Pearl - It's no plecostomus.

Inspector Clouseau said...

In thinking about this further, between Saturday and Sunday, I really disliked Sunday. At least on Saturday lots of people were doing lots of things they could not do during the week.

Sunday has always been WAY too quiet and slow to me, and it seems like 48 hours instead of 24. There's just not enough activity, and people slow down.

Pearl said...

Mythology AND Goya. What a great Saturday, Douglas!

Pearl

#167 Dad said...

Another thought provking posting...
Nosalgic.
I love Saturdays - even when I have to work a side job. When it's Saturday, there's always Sunday around the bend...